Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok I bought a brand new Spectre in April, last week it had a number of updates including BIOS.

Now I cannot shutdown the laptop, everytime i choose shutdown from Windows 10 it shuts down, then 3 seconds after powers back on again. The ONLY way I can stop this is to carry out a hard shutdown, holding in the power button for 15 seconds.

Now it cannot be my operating system, as I was so fed up I used the recovery image to rebuild it today. 

So a new install, patched with all windows and HP updates.

This has not made a difference as shutdown still causes the laptop to reboot again.

Anyone else seeing this same issue ?

Anyone got any thoughts about a solution ?

UPDATE : Well laptop went back to HP under warranty. It has had a motherboard replacement. So as expected a hardware fault.

New motherboard seems to be working fine.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Ayrshire_Haggis,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums.  After reading your post I see that you need assistance regarding issues with the computer restarting when it is shut down. It will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂  

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a recent power outage or surge?
  • Did you check if it restarts with the charger plugged in or disconnected?

Please visit a local store like Best Buy or Staples with the notebook. Then use a different power cord and a compatible adapter and connect it to the power port of the computer. Now check If it restarts. If it does not restart then both the power cord and AC adapter need to be replaced. If the issue persists, then the computer needs to be repaired. I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind without beating around the bush.

I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your forum private message box next to the bell notification icon on the upper right-hand corner for a private message from me for further assistance.

Perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. Good luck to you. I will keep a watch for your response.  

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David,

As mentioned this has started happening after Hp Assisstant prompted a BIOS Upgrade.

As I am in the UK getting to staples or Best buy is not a viable solution ( flights from the UK are expensive ).

I do not believe this is elevant to the power supply as it happens on battery or plugged into the mains.

Everythng was fine until the BIOS upgrade. As also mentioned I have rebuild the entire system from the Recovery USB stick i created when i got the laptop.

HP Recommended

@Ayrshire_Haggis,

I reviewed your excellent post. Thanks for this update. It is awesome to have you back. Your brilliant technical expertise and immaculate attitude are admirable. Kudos to you for a job well done. Please check with any local technician in this regard.  

Meanwhile, try these steps from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833 to try and roll back the bios. This might do the trick for you. Perform the different steps from 1 step to step 4.

You've been a valuable HP customer and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you and a genuine pleasure to work with you. Now trust me I've done all I can to assist you here by keeping your best interest in mind. I hope things work great for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed year ahead. Stay healthy and smile big. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ufortunately rolling back the bios has not resolved the issue.

Shutdown still causes a reboot 😞

Not sure if i can install the older bios, i am currently on F.21

HP Recommended

I bought a brand new HP Spectre 360 15 inch model back in February 2018. After four months, not sure what happened, but I started experiencing this problem where shutting down the laptop causes the computer to restart.

Tried every single youtube video/online forum search/etc., but none worked.

Contacted HP and sent in for repair. They replaced the motherboard and it has worked flawlessly up until 3 days ago. Not sure what happened, but the problem has returned and I am in the process of shipping it back to HP for repair.

Really frustating having to go through the whole troubleshooting phase again; backing up data, reimaging, downloading updates, etc.

I will post an update to this, once HP determines what the problem is this time. It might be a motherboard problem again.

HP Recommended

I also bought an HP Spectre 360 15" and have an issue with it restarting after I shut down.  I bought it in June 2018 and think the problem was there from day one but didn't really notice until August when I did my first day out on the road visiting customers and found the pc battery was flat before I got to the first customer.  At first I thought there was a problem with the battery but eventually I realised the computer was turning itself back on about 15 seconds after I shut down.

I contacted HP support this week and spent more than an hour on the phone to a call centre in India with a lady who had clearly not heard of this problem before and didn't know what to do.  She updated the BIOS and this did not help.  Know they want me to do a complete reinstall of all software, which will take heaps of time I dont have.  I use my PC about 14 hours a day, so need a quick solution from HP to keep me operational while the problem is fixed.

From this thread I can see there clearly is a problem!

HP Recommended

Been waiting ages for HP to offer a solution, on Friday the PC overheated while I went for lunch and I thought the screen was cactus! It was 30 degrees in the office but the PC was over 60 degrees.  Pretty sure that isn't good for a heap of components.

HP Recommended

Finally a SOLUTION:

My HP Spectre 360 15-bl1XX exhibited the same problem after the latest Windows 10 feture update 1809: Restarting after shutdown / sleep / hibernation. Reinstalling windows did not help, same behaviour also in Linux Ubuntu. All latest drivers, BIOS etc.

Since my Spectre is already out of warranty, I was afraid I would have to pay for a new motherboard. Fortunately it's not the case. All you need to do is to disconnect the main battery and the RTC battery from the motherboard for more than 60 seconds to erase the CMOS. This will reset the CMOS restart bit that somehow got corrupted in my case during Windows 10 update. All at your own risk of course, if you can't do it, please ask your nearest HP Service Centre to do this for you.

HP Recommended

Can anyone confirm this works for them?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.