Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl1XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Few days ago my laptop started to heat up more than usual, I have not made updates, I have not installed new versions of the programs that I usually use except for a game that is not usually running.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have the same computer, and what I have found is that the computer does heat up and the fans wind up more while the computer is plugged in, which is why I tend to use the computer off the battery. If I do need to charge it, I go the task bar in lower right and open the battery setting, and use it on "Best Battery Life" so that the  fans aren't trying to compensate for the heat created by the battery charging and the CPU running at faster speeds. Below is a picture of the setting so you have an idea:
Click the arrow pointing up the bring up a battery picture to access thisClick the arrow pointing up the bring up a battery picture to access this

Another idea is to open up task manager and see what processes are running in the background. To open task manager you can search for it in the Cortana box at the bottom right or press ALT+CTRL+DELETE and open up the task manager on the page from there.  Below is an example of the top processes (Chrome always hogs memory). The more processes you have running that shouldn't be running in the background the more your CPU revs up and causes heat. If you go into performance you can also see the performance tab of Task Manager and see your PCs performance based on several stats and % usage of each component (memory, CPU, Disk, GPU). Finally the last thing you could look at is the Startup tab on the task manager and that will show you a list of apps that startup and its impact on the startup performance. The reason this matters is because sometimes the apps that do start up will start running updates in the background, even when you're not using them. That in turn can lead to your CPU running in the background without you realizing it until it runs hot. Below is a picture of each tab(Process, Performance, and Startup), from my own PC.  I have my task manager pinned to the task bar so its always there for easy access.  I hope this helps!.CPU Performance.PNG

CPU Performance2.PNGCPU Performance3.PNG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I have the same computer, and what I have found is that the computer does heat up and the fans wind up more while the computer is plugged in, which is why I tend to use the computer off the battery. If I do need to charge it, I go the task bar in lower right and open the battery setting, and use it on "Best Battery Life" so that the  fans aren't trying to compensate for the heat created by the battery charging and the CPU running at faster speeds. Below is a picture of the setting so you have an idea:
Click the arrow pointing up the bring up a battery picture to access thisClick the arrow pointing up the bring up a battery picture to access this

Another idea is to open up task manager and see what processes are running in the background. To open task manager you can search for it in the Cortana box at the bottom right or press ALT+CTRL+DELETE and open up the task manager on the page from there.  Below is an example of the top processes (Chrome always hogs memory). The more processes you have running that shouldn't be running in the background the more your CPU revs up and causes heat. If you go into performance you can also see the performance tab of Task Manager and see your PCs performance based on several stats and % usage of each component (memory, CPU, Disk, GPU). Finally the last thing you could look at is the Startup tab on the task manager and that will show you a list of apps that startup and its impact on the startup performance. The reason this matters is because sometimes the apps that do start up will start running updates in the background, even when you're not using them. That in turn can lead to your CPU running in the background without you realizing it until it runs hot. Below is a picture of each tab(Process, Performance, and Startup), from my own PC.  I have my task manager pinned to the task bar so its always there for easy access.  I hope this helps!.CPU Performance.PNG

CPU Performance2.PNGCPU Performance3.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.