Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook 11-d010nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to rehab a Stream Notebook for my boss so we can use it in the shop.  Hard drive was overloaded and corrupted to the point that creating recovery media from the system by either means (USB stick or separate disk drive) was unsuccessful.  Went to the HP support site for downloads and drivers and NO recovery media option was listed.  Right now, the hard drive is wiped, so only option for recovery is external media.  The unit was originally shipped with Windows 8 and was upgraded to Win10 later.  Anyone have any info on a source for the necessary software or is this thing basically a brick now?  Hoping for a ready solution seeing as the system is only two years old and is in great shape otherwise.  Any info that proves useful would be appreciated.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can order W8.1 recovery media from the link below...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/HP-Stream-11-Notebook-PC/7372144/model/7538969/softwareitem/7...

I suggest you try reinstalling W10 by making your own installation media.

Use the media creation tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the part during the installation process where you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

Then W10 will install and automatically reactivate once you are reconnected to the internet.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can order W8.1 recovery media from the link below...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/HP-Stream-11-Notebook-PC/7372144/model/7538969/softwareitem/7...

I suggest you try reinstalling W10 by making your own installation media.

Use the media creation tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the part during the installation process where you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

Then W10 will install and automatically reactivate once you are reconnected to the internet.

HP Recommended

Followed the link and found the Win8.1 USB recovery kit available.  Will likely be ordering the kit in the morning (need boss's approval first).  Will likely try the Win10 upgrade after we get the system up and running again first.  Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

You''re very welcome.

You can save $$$ by to clean installing W10 and if it works, you don't need to buy the recovery media.

You don't need to install W8.1 first and then upgrade again to W10.

Must be the finance director in me...I would be asking the IT dept to try the free option first.   :generic:

HP Recommended

With or without product key for Win10 clean install?

HP Recommended

If the PC had been previously upgraded to W10 and activated successfully, you can clean install W10 at any time afterward without the need of entering a product key.

I've done it several times on a few PC's.  Works great.

HP Recommended

Running the Media Creator now on this unit to set up a USB stick.  I'll let you know if it works.

I have a feeling that the system getting the install was completely wiped such that the HDD is completely clear and the BIOS is the only thing running in it.  On startup, we get the HP logo on screen and then it shuts down after a few seconds.  I'll try the Win10 reinstall with the USB stick once it's loaded.

HP Recommended

Hey KKitchen63, 

I am having the same exact issue with my Stream.... I tried to upgrade to the latest version of Win10 and it wiped my computer. Now, its goes to the HP flash screen and then to a black screen. 

Were you able to recover the computer with the Win10 reinstall via the USB stick?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.