Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11-p-010nr
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Hi, I recently sent my computer to someone out of state to use and they just contacted me to say that it will not accept the password that I always use. They can't do a system restore or bypass the password. Is there any way to get past the password so they can log on to the computer. They can't logon at all.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Sue:

What she is describing is not a power on password.

It is the windows password she is needing, and unfortunately, none of us here would be able to help with that.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

If they enter the password 3 times, the PC should generate a system disabled (halt code).

If it generates an 8 digit system disabled code, have them enter the code in the box at the link below to generate an unlock passcode.

https://bios-pw.org/

They should then restart the PC, and enter the unlock passcode generated as the power on password...

HP Recommended

Thanks. I sent what you suggested to her and I will see what she says.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Hi,

She just got back to me. Below is what she said after trying your suggestion.

"I tried doing the password you gave me 3 times and it does nothing except say The password is incorrect. Try again. Then I tried the reset password and it says This feature requires removable media, such as a USB flash drive. Please connect a USB flash drive, and then try again. "

I don't know why it would ask for a USB removable media. I never used a flash drive on it. Also, we told her to try turning the computer on  and immediately press shift F8. She said that didn't work. I suggested that she keep pressing the shift and F8 until it goes into the mode where she can do a recovery. 

Sue

HP Recommended

Hi, Sue:

What she is describing is not a power on password.

It is the windows password she is needing, and unfortunately, none of us here would be able to help with that.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul. I was able to find something on HP support for that model. She was supposed to use F11. She did that and now it is being reset to factory settings. She should be able to set her own password when it is done. Thanks for all your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm glad the F11 system reset option didn't require the windows password to work.

Many times it does, and the only way to get around that is to boot from a HP recovery disk or usb recovery media.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.