Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
A 32GB hard drive is quite small and early on in bad to deal with a difficult upgrade from win8 to win10 by performing various actions such as removing unwanted programs and using disk space utility to get rid of unnecessary files and updates. That kept the system up to date until now . The latest upgrade just hasn't enough disk space. Windows 10 asks for at least 8GB but with everything cleared this HP Stream only has 4GB of free space. It therefore cannot go through a standard Windows upgrade. I'm not happy with this. It needs to be kept up to date. Any suggestions welcome. If I have to perform a clean install just to update the OS then this HP Stream is not fit for purpose in my view.
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Created win10 usb media and installed new OS, deleting the old. Win10 takes 18GB in a new install which is a lot of available disk space (partition has 28GB). So 10GB free although we'll see how much of that is left after the updates.

In hindsight win10 just gobbles up too much of the available disk space. If my son gets a new laptop, I'll probably install win7 on this or Linux as they have less of a footprint.... or.... I'll see how well the installation to micro sd works....
HP Recommended

We added a 64Gb SD card. I like the Sandisk Extreme. It is fast enough.  I configured it under Settings>Storage Spaces to have all data written there. Move all your sons data, downloads, music, movies etc to the SD card. Various applications may need tweaking to autofind the new location

Then uninstall all the applications you/he have added to the PC

Then use Disk cleanup to analize. CLick Every box> Then analize {system files} click every box and clean

At this point you should 10Gb clear. If not in FIle Manager>View>select show hidden

Then on C:\SWsetup delete any sub directories (these are HP updates that are already loaded)

Now do you have 10GB clear 😉

if not Control Panel>System>System Advanced Settings

User Profiles... If their are extra user profiles delete them EXCEPT default, and your sons

System Protection... You can disable it for C: until after the update

Apply>Close

boot

DO you have 10 GB now?

If so I suggest running all the HP driver/Bios updates first. (there are some) IF HP Support Manager will not find them and run them it is becuase of low disk space. Go out to HP Support  enter your P/N download and update as needed

AFTER delete subfolders in SWUPDATE agian

NOW YOU CAN RUN Windows upgrade assistant.

Setup Settings>system>storage>storage sense

Point Onedrive to the SD card if you use one drive

HP Recommended
Thanks for your conscientious reply.
I went ahead with a clean install.
It's running really well now.
And yes I have added an albeit small sd card and I am so pleased Windows now allows apps to be installed there as previously this was restricted. So all is well.

Apart from another issue posted on a different thread where power is sometimes lost when screen is opened. Some sort of mechanical issue there...
HP Recommended

This is an old, but not solved thread. 

For anyone looking to resolve this issue, HP has a recently provided a document which will provide you with valuable information and with what should the means to resolve the problem.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05449785

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.