Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Ok so I got my grey Hp Stream 14 notebook a month or so ago as a gift from a relative. Not to be rude but I hated it from the day I got it. After setup that day I downloaded 1 game and only have very few photos in my gallery. About a week later the laptop stared slowing down a bit. A tried deleting irrelevant things but it wouldn't do crap. So a couple of days ago I tried to factory reset the device. It gave me a couple options and started fine.. then a message came saying ADDITIONAL DISK SPACE NEEDED: 4.3 GB . I was so confused as because I deleted everything except the stuff built on the laptop (HP support, graphic drives, etc.). The laptop first off has bad storage in my opinion. It has 29.1 GB which is LESS THEN MY PHONE. But I was still confused as to why u NEED space to factory reset. I deleted everything I added and there was only the 17GB the laptop needs to run being used. So I went into the program settings and deleted ANYTHING  else I might have missed and managed to clear enough space. I try again and get mad. Message: ADDITIONAL SPACE NEEDED: -5,947,843, bytes. I just shut down the PC and and went to bed. -_-

Sorry for the long winded statement but I just wanted you to know what I've tried. Please help thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Ok so I got my grey Hp Stream 14 notebook a month or so ago as a gift from a relative. Not to be rude but I hated it from the day I got it. After setup that day I downloaded 1 game and only have very few photos in my gallery. About a week later the laptop stared slowing down a bit. A tried deleting irrelevant things but it wouldn't do crap. So a couple of days ago I tried to factory reset the device. It gave me a couple options and started fine.. then a message came saying ADDITIONAL DISK SPACE NEEDED: 4.3 GB . I was so confused as because I deleted everything except the stuff built on the laptop (HP support, graphic drives, etc.). The laptop first off has bad storage in my opinion. It has 29.1 GB which is LESS THEN MY PHONE. But I was still confused as to why u NEED space to factory reset. I deleted everything I added and there was only the 17GB the laptop needs to run being used. So I went into the program settings and deleted ANYTHING  else I might have missed and managed to clear enough space. I try again and get mad. Message: ADDITIONAL SPACE NEEDED: -5,0947,8843, bytes. I just shut down the PC and and went to bed. -_-

Sorry for the long winded statement but I just wanted you to know what I've tried. Please help thanks

HP Recommended

Hello @karlam214

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

I have similar computer [HP Stream 11] and I am posting this from it now. I was given it by HP as a loaner PC and I have been using it in the past 10 months to gain experience with it.

This is considered a cloudbook/netbook. It's meant for basic Internet usage, light stuff and files not to be stored locally.

For just 249 $ you get this light portable PC + long lasting battery + Windows license + additional software = all just for 249 $ Smiley Wink It's really worth the money but it can't have all the perks of a PC which costs 2499 USD.

However, I do feel for you and I do understand your Windows 10 issues. This PC would definitely be running better with Windows 8.1, for example due to the huge, constant and automatic Windows 10 updates.

The permanent (or long lasting) solution is to reinstall Windows and to perform clean Windows installation.

Currently, your PC has a recovery partition which can be used to reinstall Windows or for recovery purposes but it takes a lot of time. By reinstalling Windows 10, you can delete this and gain some 10 GB space extra.

This is the fastest, cheapest (free) and easiest solution - not difficult - here are instructions >> 

Windows reinstallation / clean installation :

- You can directly download Windows 10 ISO from MS site or download >> Media creation tool from Microsoft site, create installation DVD or installation USB  and  proceed with clean installation/reinstallation.

Download:

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Make sure you select the proper version (64 bit / Home) 

Media Creation tool will always provide you with the latest Windows version/build - now 1709 Fall Creators Update.

- When download completes, you will need to write  the ISO image and boot from a bootable media. You will need a blank USB pendrive (min 4 GB capacity). Use the media creation tool

When ready with the USB drive:

Please, shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert the Windows USB thumdrive prepared previously

Power on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, start hitting the Esc button repeatedly (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the USB thumb drive as a boot option.

- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 10. Perform clean installation/custom installation (not repair).

Delete all existing partitions and install Windows on Disc 0 Unallocated space

- After successful Windows installation, connect to a wi-fi network and update Windows immediately - this will update Windows but it will also install drivers for this device to enable/active the hardware

- Make sure Windows is Activated by going to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Activation

- You may wish to stop some of the Windows Telemetry by using free tools such as Spybot AntiBeacon or DWS Lite

Hope this works for you. Let me know how it goes and if this helped.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi! @Mr_Timot3o, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you are getting low disk space error on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

You don't have to update the windows since the disk space on your PC is only 32GB. 

So you can disable the windows update on your PC to solve low disk space issues.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Deleting temporary files and directories increases hard disk space and reduces the time Windows takes to access the hard drive. Windows uses a TEMP directory to temporarily store files intended only for short-term use. Over time, these files might not be removed and can build up and cause problems.
To delete these files, follow these steps:
Close all open software programs.
If you are using Windows 10, do the following:
In Windows search, type disk cleanup.
Select Disk Cleanup from the results.
The Disk Cleanup: Drive Selection window opens.
Select the drive you want to clean up from the drop-down menu and click OK.
A message opens stating that Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space can be freed.
Place a checkmark next to the types of files you want the Disk Cleanup utility to delete. Temporary files are safe to delete.
   CAUTION:
Selecting some options can have a negative effect. If you are unsure about what to delete, do not delete files until you know which ones are important.
Click OK.
Click Delete Files.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Cleaning up the Component Store can be done as follows:
Open an elevated command instance.
Type the following command:
The Disk Cleanup dialog will appear. Tick the item called "Windows Update Cleanup":
That's it. This will remove files which are not critical to the functioning of the operating system and which are used only as a reserve copy of the upgraded system components. Your WinSxS folder in Windows 10 will be reduced in size.
You have to remember however that after performing this cleanup, you will not be able to uninstall any of the updates currently installed.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot low disk space on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi i had this same issue a few mins ago then tried freeing up space didnt know what to do even googled answer anyway straight to the point when cleaning your pc it cleans your programfiels i found that alot of application data i needed to remove for space was under C:\ProgramData

HP Recommended

same problem with mine only had a few pics never played games on it just got on internet

can't do anything with it now

HP Recommended

@dmrtmr Welcome to HP Community!

Follow the below steps to resolve Low Disk Space issues:

• Run the Disk Cleanup tool, and then at the bottom of the window that pops up, click on "Clean up system files". Check everything, hit OK, and let it run. You will free up several GB for sure.
  • Another thing to do is disable hibernate file. Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following:
  • powercfg hibernate off
  • Enjoy your extra space!

For a related link on HP Forums: Click here (Though the header/title may be different, the steps will help resolve your concern).

Resolving Low Disk Space Errors: Click here 

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I hope you know how much of a life saver you are! I downloaded Windows 10 onto an old USB and booted it onto my Stream and it worked like a charm! Thank you so much, you saved me a ton of time and energy!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.