Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream - 14-cb011wm
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode
Hi, My HP Stream Laptop with Windows 10 in S Mode (Product # below) started receiving random Windows errors and automatically rebooted only after a few days of purchase.  I tried Windows’ advanced recovery options. (System Restore, Startup Repair, System Image Recovery) but nothing seemed to work. The laptop still received errors and rebooted.

I have a tech support background, so using Window’s Media Creation Tool, I installed Windows 10 on a USB drive and booted to that. The Windows install started and I was able to delete the existing partitions and re-partition the hard drive and go through the Windows setup. At the end of the Windows setup, I received a similar generic Windows error and the computer rebooted itself. The error message was garbled so it wasn't very helpful. See screenshot below.

I performed the hardware diagnostics tests available in the BIOS, but everything passed. 

At this point I have no idea what to do.  The manufacturer warranty has already expired even though it was recently purchased. Any help would be appreciated. I am home schooling 2 elementary school kids during this Coronavirus crisis and could really use this laptop. Thank you in advance. 

Mike 

mikemac1976@gmail.com

Product number:5LH92UA

PC Error.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@imikemac 

The HP warranty starts when the PC is BUILT, not when it is SOLD.  So it can sit on a shelf or in a warehouse for MONTHS before someone actually buys it.

What you need to do is use the number below to contact HP Support to register your PC to reset the warranty date.   Be sure to tell them that you are calling to do this:

Use the number in BOLD at the top of this linked page: https://www.bing.com/search?q=hp+customer+service+phone+number&form=ANNTH1&refig=de5fcca1b6a84053aa0...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you WAWood for your reply. I called HP Support at (866) 724-8600. The automated system told me to first start a chat with the Virtual Assistant where I would get a case number that I could call back and use. However, the Virtual Chat eventually asked for the serial number of the laptop and once it saw that the manufacturer's warranty was expired, it said my only option was this HP User Community. 

Any suggestions for getting around this dead end? Thanks again.

Mike 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.