Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I power on the laptop the first thing it does is display the message "Preparing  Automatic Repair," then it says "Diagnosing your PC." After then the screen says " Your PC did not start properly," and prompts me to either restart the PC or explore Advanced Options. Restarting the PC leads to exactly the same page and none of the advanced options work.  

I have reset the PC now 3 times (!!), completely erasing all files and starting from scratch and re-downloading programs.  But every time I shut down and come back to it, it's back to the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen. 

Is my PC beyond repair?  Help!  I can't re-download everything every time I want to use it.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi WandaNob,

Automatic repair means there is a system corruption happened or the computer encountered a problem during windows update installation.

Kindly try these steps and see if this will work. 

Since Automatic Repair fails to repair your PC, now select "Advanced options" and then "Troubleshoot" and try these
steps:

b.Select "Advanced options" and then
select "Command Prompt".
c.If prompted, enter in the password for
the user name.
d.At the Command Prompt, type the
following commands and hit enter.

bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /Fixboot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

After running the commands your computer it should restart and will automatically install windows update. Sometimes it will take for a while to update. Just extend your patience and wait until your computer restarted successfully. DONT LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER UNATTENDED..

Good luck!

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended
Thank you for your response!

So the first two commands worked and I got back "The operation completed successfully." However the last one scanned for Windows installations and found 0. And it didn't automatically restart. Should I manually restart it?

Thanks again!
HP Recommended

@WandaNob wrote:
Thank you for your response!

So the first two commands worked and I got back "The operation completed successfully." However the last one scanned for Windows installations and found 0. And it didn't automatically restart. Should I manually restart it?

Thanks again!

Yes wandanob. If you dont see any prompts or words or options then feel free to restart it manually.

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended

Hi im having the exact same problem. Ran what you have said to do in the command prompt and came up with 0 at the end. Didnt automatically restart so had to restart myself. But with no joy just coming up with the hp logo and then restarting. Any more suggestions would be really appreciated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.