Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Yes, uninstall HP Assistant as well. Then reinstall both of them.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I uninstalled both programs and reinstalled the latest version of HP support solutions Framework Services and the CPU % went down to 0%. Hopefully it won't change.

HP Recommended

Good Day,

Found this thread and I today am experiencing the same issues. My platform is HP ENVY 17t-k000CTO, hybrid HDD/16GB/i7. Winblows 10 Pro, up to date: v1607(OS Build 14393.447). I installed the latest updates to HP S.A. (v) 8.3.34.7...& HP S.S. Framework (v) 12.5.32.37 on 11/21/16...about 2 weeks ago. HP S.A. has always been a problem for me...fails to run, communcate with HP server(Whatever) etc, and no matter what version I install it eventually shows up in the "Reliability Monitor" as "Stopped working"...and there is never a solution...

Today I ran an AV scan and the CPU was producing enough heat to warm the room...the HP S.S. Framework alone was pulling over 55% of the CPU usage...unacceptable. After monitoring for 20 minutes I shutdown everything and let it cool. This is the first time in nearly 2 years I have experienced this issue. Right now I am scanning again and drawing a total of 8% CPU for the entire system with several windows opened in different programs...and virtually no power draw or fan usage...and the scan is not bogged down. For me these two programs will remain removed from my device. Hopefully someone @ HP will have solution...

HP Recommended

I've had this problem several times now, it occurs when the support assistant automatically checks for updates.

The first time this happened I used the uninstall/reinstall solution, many thanks Mumbodog!

Since then I have "fixed" the problem this way which saves some time:

1. Open the Task Manager and kill HP Support Solutions Framework (the high CPU task).

2. Shut down the computer, turn it back on, the high CPU task should be gone.

3. Open the HP support assistant and manually Check for Updates and Messages.

So far this has worked every time, the Support Assistant successfully completes its update check, and post-update operations (firmware update, read/dismiss messages) work normally. It seems to be good until the next automatic update check, no different than when fixed by uninstall/reinstall.

This is a Spectre x360 with core i7, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home. It is also running Norton Security, this may or may not have something to do with the problem. We ran for a few months without Norton, the HP Support Framework high CPU problem has only occurred after installing Norton but that may well be purely coincidental. The problem seems to affect a wide variety of platforms.

HP Recommended

Signing out of Windows 10 and then restarting cured my problem today. Thanks!

HP Recommended

12/17/2016 - Just Googled the topic, since my HP laptop fan started running like crazy over the past week.   I've been running this pc for some time, but this problem just crept in recenty.  Fan was always a bit busy, but just kept getting worse.

I too, ended the application in Task Manager and the fan stopped immediately.  So it appears this problem has not been resolved by HP.

I also have another older HP laptop  that I finally stopped using for the same problem.  The fan was over heating big time. 

I'll keep researching and seeing if anyone has a permananent fix, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

We bought three HP ENVY x360 Convertibles:

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
  • 16.0 GB Physical Memory (RAM) 
  • Total Virtual Memory 23.9 GB
  • Page File Space 8.00 GB

Only one appeared to be taxing the CPU and Fan...  At one point raging at 90% non-stop.  The utility appeared to hang and was unresponsive when we attempted to address the 1 update and 4 messages.

Browsing to support.hp.com>Find Your Product>Identify Now appeared to reinstall HP Support Solutions and the overdrive stopped.  I began to hear it start to ramp up again a few minutes later, but then went to Settings and turned off updates, which seemed to kill it for good.

After checking the other two machines, I'd come to realize that we hadn't gone through the HP Support Assistant first login prompts yet to choose any options, likely the reason why we hadn't encountered it on the others.

Support shouldn't hurt your machine's performance, it's supposed the help!

HP Recommended

I have a Spectre X360, and HP Support Solutions Framework was using high CPU again this morning. The only way to tell is when the fans are blowing and the machine is getting hot. It just runs at 50% CPU until I kill it using Task Manager.

This is intolerable! It's happened several times before. I'm very much inclined to just uninstall HP Support altogether.

I very much like HP's hardware, but this stupid software causes more problems than it solves.

HP Recommended

I have run several of our HP devices with S.A. removed from time to time. You can always reinstall the app. In fact on our old devices that are well outside the warranty period,,,seems pointless to have the app installed

HP Recommended

Indeed, support assistant doesn't appear to do anything worthwhile when you're outside the warranty period. Inside the warranty period it seems a convenient way to handle HP-specific updates, in particular BIOS updates.

I too am disappointed that the support assistant gets wrapped around the axle from time to time and there seems to be no acknowledgement of the problem from the HP side. That said, we've continued to run support assistant on our Spectre x360 and haven't seen the high CPU use problem for 2 or 3 months. Hard to say if this is because it has been silently fixed, or because there haven't been any updates to deal with, or because the problem is random in nature and we've just been lucky. Smart money is probably not on fixed!

Now that I know how to work around the problem without the hassle of uninstall/reinstall we will continue to run support assistant, at least through the duration of the warrantly period.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.