Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ENVY 15, Windows 10 version 1607

CPU cycles went up to about 50% this morning and discovered that the HP Support Solutions Framework service was at 40+% continuously.   No problems up to this point with high utilization by this utility.  Problem did not start with the anniversary update as that was completed 4 days and several reboots ago.

Had a chat session with HP support but they could not help. 

I have stopped the task from running - appears to restart every time I launch the HP support assistant and continues with 40+% utilization of CPU. 

Any suggestions please?   Is there an updated utility that I should download? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Uninstall  HP Support Framework and HP Support Assistant in Control Panel>Programs and Features

Then, Reinstall the latest version from this link

http://h18021.www1.hp.com/helpandsupport/hp-self-support.html

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Uninstall  HP Support Framework and HP Support Assistant in Control Panel>Programs and Features

Then, Reinstall the latest version from this link

http://h18021.www1.hp.com/helpandsupport/hp-self-support.html

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.   I didn't get to implement this solution until a day after your reply.  However, before I did the fix you suggested, I noticed that the HP Support Solution Framework service process was listed in the task manager but was not consuming any CPU cycles.  I hadn't modified or changed anything.    

I did notice that there is a task scheduled for 8 PM each day to send a report to HP, apparently using this process.  As it should have run last night or when I started the PC this morning, I can't explain why the CPU cycles are now at normal.   So,  I am leaving it alone for the time being.  If it does jump up again to consume the abnormal CPU cycles, I'll implement your solution. 

Thanks again.  This was the first time I used the forum and was happy to get a MUCH more resonable response than using the HP help desk. 

HP Recommended

You are welcome, unpaid volunteers try harder. 😉

HP Recommended

I uninstalled both programs as recommended, reinstalled from the link, and I still get 60% CPU usage.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, HP ProBook 650 G1, 16GB RAM.

The only difference I notice is that the old version was telling me I had three updates available, but it never made progress when attempting to download them, and the newly reinstalled version scans for updates and finds none. That might be progress.

HP Recommended

Two data points don't make a valid trend, but here is something others might try. When I killed the 60% CPU task using the End Task button in Task Manager, then restarted, the HP Support Assistant started back up with 60% CPU consumption again. This was after uninstalling and reinstalling.

However, when I left the task alone and did a Sign Out  in Windows 10, then a restart, without killing the task myself, the machine restarted without the CPU usage problem.

HP Recommended

Update to my previous post -  Problem still exists

The problem of high CPU usage came back again and appears to be related to a task that runs at the end of the week. There are two taks in task scheduler at about the same time and I'm going to wait until this Friday to see if I can figure out which one it is.   

I have not deinstalled and reinstalled the application yet, but from the additional post, it doesn't appear that will fix the issue.  I can kill the task and if I don't launch the HP Support Assistance, the task doesn't appear to restart and go back to high CPU usage. 

Will update with additional details after this Friday

HP Recommended

facing this exact same issue right now. did you find any proper solution to this ? 

HP Recommended

It may not be the best solution, but when I disabled the weekly task for the HP Support Assistant to do a PC check and the task to report it, I have not had the high CPU usage.  

I figured I could always run the HP Support Assistant manually every now and then rather than let it run every week. 

HP Recommended

See my previous answer. No problems in weeks after uninstalling, reinstalling, and AVOIDING the killing of processes or services.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.