Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi Cyclelegs,

Thank you for your inquiry, I will do my best to assist you!

The HP System Event Utility  enables special function keys on the system to be programmed.

I believe it adds the extra features to the buttons. such as Wireless on and off.

When I tried to install it on a lab computer here it just told me it was already installed.  

When I put it in the search bar it just brings up the download. You are not able to access or use it to alter or change anything.

I hope this has addressed your concerns.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

From HP Support Assistant:

"This package contains the HP System Event Utility, which enables special function keys on supported notebook models to be programmed"

From and HP Support Agent:

"I believe it adds the extra features to the buttons. such as Wireless on and off.

When I tried to install it on a lab computer here it just told me it was already installed.  

When I put it in the search bar it just brings up the download. You are not able to access or use it to alter or change anything."     ???

How is this question "Solved"?  Should we just uninstall this software?  Why was it put on if it does nothing?  If the program were to work as described it could be really useful to me.

James

James
HP Recommended

Hi @james_hands 

Thank you for your query.

The original question was what is the HP System Utility and how to use it.

The post explains what it does and  that you don't do anything with it as it just enables the special function keys to be programmed on supported models. 

If you remove the software it will also remove the ability to program the special function keys .

If you have any further concerns please contact HP support for assistance.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

OK so it appears we're getting closer. 

I guess what I actually meant to ask instead was: 

Where (or how) do we program these special keys, if not through the HP System Event Utility itself?

Thanks

James
HP Recommended

Hi @james-hands

I see you would like to know where and how to use these special keys.

i believe this  utilty is usually used in conjunction with the HP Quick Launch.

I hope this document  addresses your concerns as it  provides instructions on how to program them.

Understanding and Using HP Quick Launch (Windows 7, Vista)

If you should have further questions or concerns please contact HP technical support. The  link is in my previous post.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

An interesting thing to note (at least in the latest revision of this "Utility") is the file titled: HP Socket Service

Can someone explain why HP needs to utilise windows sockets? is it related to how the MSG service (MSGSVC.exe) interacts with DockMessage.exe ? is it related to the Beats.exe ?  (reminds me and many other 'network developers' of SNMP heartbeats although likely related to HP Connected Music which is now branded HP Lounge)

I also note a spelling error of the second 'keyboard' and absolutely severe grammatical error (throughout the item) 
in Strings/EN-US.ini ---

"ITEM0025=You have closed half lid keyboard. HP Connected Music is able to active at half lid keyobard close. Do you enable HP Connected Music at half lid keyboard close?"

I sure hope the programming in the VC++ compiler isnt as bad.

HP Recommended

Is the HP System Even Utility needed for brightness via Fn+F2/F3? If not, what else is needed for the brightness hotkeys to work on newer HP notebooks?

HP Recommended

Looks like they are no longer monitoring the feed.  Hmmmm, they totally avoided the question of if we really needed this program running in the background or evey installed at all for the Function keys that are normal to any platform or if the program had to be there to use them.  

Thanks HP

HP Recommended

Hi, I too am doing bloatware clean up, when I uninstall the "HP System Event Utility", it gives me the following popup (see screenshot). It looks like some kind of messaging program that runs in the background, I always though such programs slows the laptop down, so out it goes.

My Fn keys all seems to be working fine after I uninstalled it.

My laptop is "HP Pavilion 15 Gaming Laptop"

HP remove 3.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.