Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bw090nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP laptop 15-bw0xx (also named HP Notebook - 15-bw090nd) won't upgrade from Windows 10 1909 to a newer version. And is unsafe because it misses a lot of updates.

I tried:

1. all tips on this page:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-updates-fail-to-install

No success.

2. Windows Update Assistent (21H2)

Does install but after failing reboot, rolls back 21H2 to 1909

3. Windows Media Creation Tool: updating this pc

Does install but after failing reboot, rolls back 21H2 to 1909

Error code:

0xC1900101 -0x20017

The installation failed in the Safe-OS phase with an error during boot operation

4. Windows Media Creation Tool: install Windows from USB 

Doesn' t work. Starting from usb doesn't get past HP screen

HP Support Assistent says there are no driver/firmware updates for the laptop, but website mentions some.

What to do? I don't want to mess up the laptop with a faulty bios update.

Thanks for helping me.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to your notebook's support page, this is the latest BIOS update HP released for your notebook.

Driver - HP Notebook - 15-bw090nd | HP® Klantondersteuning

Updating the BIOS always has risks, so you will have to decide what you want to do if your notebook's current BIOS is older than vF.52.

If you are getting that fuzzy screen when you go to clean install W10, that is a very common issue with that model series.

The only way that you can reinstall W10 that I know of on that model would be to use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive. 

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...you will need a 32 GB USB flash drive to create the recovery media with.

HP consumenten-pc's - Het hulpprogramma HP Cloud Recovery gebruiken in Windows 11 en 10 | HP® Klanto...

The problem is, this will install the old version of W10 that originally came with your notebook.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your response! 

I saw the bios upgrade on the site, but why is the HP Support Assistent not offering this upgrade? That made me suspicious about it.

Second: any idea why updating this notebook to a newer Windows 10 version past 1909 isn't working anymore? And what to do about that? Is a bios upgrade the only solution? Or a fresh install to Windows 10 version 17XX and then upgrading, or will it get stuck at 1909 again?

Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would try the HP cloud recovery tool and then see if you can do an upgrade to the latest version of W10.

Unfortunately, I have no idea why the HP support assistant did not provide that BIOS update on your notebook's support page.

Generally, the updates would be correct for the entire 15-bw0xx model series regardless of what hardware they come with.

All I can say is what I said before.  That is the only BIOS update available for your PC.

Whether or not you want to risk running the update is up to you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.