Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 1DU07AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have completed a full recovery from the recovery partition and applied all of the Windows updates. I then ran HP Support Assistant and it is selected 17 updates. One of the reasons I did the recovery was to get Windows Spotlight working. If I apply these updates and it breaks Spotlight, how do I contact HP to report it and what are the chances of getting a fix? I am asking because the first time I ran Support Assistant it selected something that had to do with fixing slow logons. The second time I ran Support Assistant it did not select that update. I would sure hate to install a fix for a problem that I am not having and have it break something else. Questions:

1) How do I contact HP if an update breaks something?

2) Why did Support Assistant select an update one time an not the second when I did NOT install the updates?

Thanks for all your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@taherte2

I'm glad you were able to get this issue sorted out.

It is not mandatory to install optional updates as long as the Notebook is working fine

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 🙂

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@taherte2

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, you're having issues with HP Support Assistant Updates,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes made?

What is the product number? 

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

1. In Windows, search for an open Uninstall a program.

2. On the Programs and Features window, select HP Support Assistant, then click Uninstall.

Figure: Uninstall HP Support Assistant

Uninstall screen from the Control Panel with HP Support Assistant highlighted
  3. Click Yes on the Programs and Features screen to confirm you want to uninstall HP Support Assistant.

Figure: Uninstall confirmation

Confirmation screen to uninstall HP Support Assistant with Yes selected
  4. Restart your computer to complete the process.

5. When the uninstall process is complete, open a Web browser and go to the HP Support Assistant website. Follow these steps to download HP Support Assistant:

6. Click Download HP Support Assistant.

7. When the download bar is displayed at the bottom of the screen, click Save.

8. When the download completes, click Run, then follow the on-screen instructions. This might take a few minutes to complete.

9. When the installation completes, select Yes, then click Finish to restart the system.

10. When the system restarts, the HP Support Assistant  icon displays on the task bar. Click the icon to open the application.

If HP Support Assistant is working correctly, you are done.

If the issue persists, please create a new user account and check the functionality in the new account. Click the link to follow steps: Click here.

Keep me posted,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed,

And your device is up and running again,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

I went ahead and installed all of the Important and Recommended updates. Had some small issues with the way Support Assistant works but managed to get them done. One of the updates was a BIOS update. After applying that HP Support Assistant wouldn't seem to open so I downloaded and installed the latest version. That seemed to fix the Support Assistant problem. It is still displaying the updates classified as Optional and I am trying to decide whether to apply them since the laptop seems to be working correctly now.

HP Recommended

@taherte2

I'm glad you were able to get this issue sorted out.

It is not mandatory to install optional updates as long as the Notebook is working fine

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 🙂

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.