Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 2540P
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I reset the BIOS to default and now get the E61 error...and no system disk error... seems I need to replace the BIOS via USB (hopefully) .. 

Where can I find a copy of the BIOS ... or any other suggestions ?

Cheers

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Get it from HP© Software and Driver Downloads. Download the file, and when prompted on where to put it, set it to a USB thumb drive. Reflash the BIOS, and try from there. Otherwise, if you can open your PC, take the CMOS battery 20200526_152559.jpgout and put it back in. This will take the built-in backup 20200526_152550.jpgfactory default image and copy it to the standard image. (Image source: An old broken computer I took apart and that luckily had the right components.) The CMOS battery is just any button cell lithium battery.

HP Recommended

Hi there and thank you for the reply...

I have visited that address and it reports no software available. Also WINDOWS + B on start doesnt bring up the FLASH screen.. just stays blank.

Looking to find info on the CMOS battery location .. looks like a massive deconstruct.. but it may have to be my next move. very annoying as the lap was working very well other than a audio issue.. and reset the BIOS seemed to bethe major suggestion on fix.

Fingers crossed

🙂

HP Recommended

An update .. removed the CMOS battery.. replaced and rebooted but same problem

Tried the WINDOWS + B boot .. blank screen .. LEDs and fan comes on ... CAPS LOCK led flashing  and have to remove battery to turn off.

Any suggestions for next step ?

HP Recommended

Some more info.. all the tests went well but no success

Attaches are a couple of pics incase I am missing something

Cant really see if its a BIOS fail or a Disk fail ... dont have a alternative to test but can access it  via Command Prompt when20200527_170910 (Small).jpg20200527_170857 (Small).jpg20200527_164905 (Small).jpg booting from a Windows USB

HP Recommended

maybe I should ost this a seperate topic .. but did some digging on the pc and came up with this report.. it seesm to suggest that my disk is not a bootable disk anymore and thats my issue , not the BIOS. Am I right .. and the next part is how I make it bootable with out loosing everything ?

20200527_224327 (Small).jpg

HP Recommended

Connect it to a working PC, and reinstall Windows after backing it up. Also, the caps lock... Is there any sequence?

HP Recommended

Also, you can try to boot from USB or DVD. Because of the UEFI boot order, if it isn't bootable, it will try everything, then legacy, then the No os yadda yadda screen. So get recovery media and back up your files. Move the files instead of copying them for a faster reset.

HP Recommended

Final result here ,,, the drive seemed to be the issue .. not the BIOS.. rebuilt the drive,,, and now on to more issues.

Many thanks for the replies here

HP Recommended

You're welcome. Glad I helped!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.