Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G71 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have my sister's HP G71 Laptop which has a faulty hard drive that needs to be replaced.  It will not boot into Windows 7.  She does not have a recovery disk for this PC and I have had no luck in finding one via the HP support website.  How do I go about getting the Hard Drive replaced AND recovering her operating system and files?  Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
Hi,
Unfortunately, hp does not provide hp recovery drive for your notebook and there is no way to recover your personal files. but you can recover windows 7 using the product key printed on back side of your notebook.
Just visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows7 and enter the product key to download windows 7 iso.
Use small tool named Rufus to create boot able USB drive.
Follow this quick guide if you need help https://techsimplifier.blogspot.in/2017/08/how-to-install-windows-what-is-clean.html?m=1
HP Recommended

Sorry for the late response, but I really appreciate your help.  Unfortunately, when I enter the Product Key, I got this response:

Error

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

When I go onto the HP website, it tells me the recovery kit for this model Laptop is not available.  

Not sure where to go now?  

HP Recommended

Update:  I was able to find a recovery disk for $26.99 from this site [edit]and for lack of anywhere else to look or go, I ordered one.  I hope this takes care of the issue....Thanks

HP Recommended

Update 2:  As of tonight, I got someone from Microsoft support and they were very helpful in getting me an .iso download of my version of Windows 7.  I now have the PC operational, but do not have all of the necessary drivers.  I am currently struggling with the network controller.  It says there is no driver installed, I am unable to identify which driver I need because via Device Manager, I cannot tell which controller I have.  There are several possibilities for downloading drivers, I just want to make sure I get the correct one.  Will keep you posted.

HP Recommended
Hi
Visit https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers to download latest drivers
HP Recommended

I connected the problem PC to the internet via Ethernet and then went to the Hp Help site provided by you, at which time I was able to download the correct driver for my device.  Thank-you VERY much for all your support and assistance.  I am now back up and running, connected wirelessly to the internet.  My sister will be SO pleased!  Thanks Again!!

HP Recommended

The Microsoft download link you provide yields the following msg when I enter my product key:

Error

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

So...what is HP's recommended way forward for my recovery?

HP Recommended

which link? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.