Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HQ TRE 71025
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. My wife's 4 year old touchscreen laptop has been having issues. It won't boot up fully often. Goes to black screen. After a few restarts it will boot up fully, and sometimes it just boots up normally.

I tried to restore to an earlier point but the only points were within a week and they didn't fix the issue.

It failed the hard drive test. I tried to create a recovery disc thinking I'd replace the hard drive but it failed 3x to complete that task. I checked the box and the laptop did not come with a windows disc.

A new hard drive is cheap but if I am unable to reinstall windows, the laptop is garbage.

Any suggestions?? She loves the laptop and I'd hate to spend another $5-700 on a new one when a $40 hard drive is the root problem.

Thanks!

Ron

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @RLeads,

Windows 10 is a digital license so as long as you don't do a large hardware replacement such as a motherboard swap, you can replace the hard drive and use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB and install Windows 10 on the new hard drive.

You'll need at least an 8GB USB Flash Drive and once you download the tool, select Create installation media for another PC.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

What about the cloud recovery tool? Seems like that one has all of the drivers as well so is that one a simple plug and play fix?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.