Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook [edit], Number 1TJ82UA
Other

Hi 

I own HP notebook [edit]

Product number 1TJ82UA

It has an issue with the SATA internal hard drive. I would like to change to an SSD internal hard drive. Kindly advise if this model can take an SSD internal hard drive and where I can get 500GB or 1TB depending on the cost.

Regards

Morgan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Akivaga 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.

Yes, it can take internal SSD instead of an HDD, as long as this drive is of type SATA (connects to the PC via SATA port).

You can purchase one online or in-place via local PC shops. For example, Best Buy offers 512 GB SanDisk SSD for ~80 USD

and 1 TB Samsung for ~160 USB >> https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/solid-state-drives

You may get it from another places, too.

Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @Akivaga 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.

Yes, it can take internal SSD instead of an HDD, as long as this drive is of type SATA (connects to the PC via SATA port).

You can purchase one online or in-place via local PC shops. For example, Best Buy offers 512 GB SanDisk SSD for ~80 USD

and 1 TB Samsung for ~160 USB >> https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/solid-state-drives

You may get it from another places, too.

Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Akivaga wrote:

Thanks

You are welcome.

Let me know how it goes and keep me updated

HP Recommended

Thanks,

I have visited Bestbuy store online from KENYA.  Please confirm if this model -  SAN DISK   SDSSDH3-512G-25 SKU:5969506 512GB ULTRA 3D SSD  is suitable, compatible and will fit in my HP Notebook 15-bs015dx product number 1TJ82UA

Feel free to suggest other SSD harddrive models.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Akivaga wrote:

Thanks,

I have visited Bestbuy store online from KENYA.  Please confirm if this model -  SAN DISK   SDSSDH3-512G-25 SKU:5969506 512GB ULTRA 3D SSD  is suitable, compatible and will fit in my HP Notebook 15-bs015dx product number 1TJ82UA

Feel free to suggest other SSD harddrive models.

Thanks

You are welcome !

This model you describe (brand, capacity, SKU) is OK for your PC and should fit well.

However, if you are in Kenya (Africa) I think you may have issues directly purchasing from Best Buy USA as they may not ship outside North America. Perhaps you should use some local tech store alternative or use 3rd party service which can deliver the shipping (the SSD) to you in Kenya.

HP Recommended

@Akivaga 

Do you use Windows 10 on this computer (preinstalled by HP) ?

If you do, make sure it is activated before swapping the drives (before installing a new one) by going to Start -> Settings -> Activation (Windows activation). Best would be to have a Digital entitlement or Digital Entitlement connected to Microsoft Account.

This is to avoid having issues after the HDD/SSD change

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Windows 10 home is activated but what is a Digital entitlement or Digital Entitlement connected to Microsoft Account? and how do i go about it?

Many thanks

HP Recommended

Thanks

i already have someone traveling to Kenya. He will purchase on behalf and deliver to me.

Many thanks 

HP Recommended

@Akivaga wrote:

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Windows 10 home is activated but what is a Digital entitlement or Digital Entitlement connected to Microsoft Account? and how do i go about it?

Many thanks

Microsoft forced a change since Windows 8. Windows 8 and Windows 10 do not come with a COA sticker with the Windows key. Instead, the key is bundled with the BIOS. Here is more info >> https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-8-moves-to-bios-based-product-keys/

Generally speaking you do not need this code as OEM Windows is automatically activated. Also, Windows 10 offers other means of activation, as well.

There are several ways to activate Windows 10

1) No code - no key - just Digital entitlement  - this is virtual check from Microsoft - new method - a Digital entitlement option stored on Microsoft servers. Digital Entitlement is the method by which Windows 10 records your hardware
and verifies it as needed.

Because of this, you will no longer need a code/lic key to activate Windows if you need to reinstall it.  It will activate itself without you entering any key - it will connect online and detect your PC hardware.  More info:

>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

>> http://www.winbeta.org/news/digital-entitlement-a-new-method-of-activation-in-windows-10

2)  Use of key - if Windows 10 was activated initially with a Microsoft licensing key, you will need to enter this key again and re-activate this Windows using the key again. Only retail type of keys are accepted, aka retail licenses - not OEM/DSP types.

3) Activation using Microsoft account and a Digital license - starting with Anniversary update , if you used MS account to login to the PC and if you enabled a special option, you no longer need a license key to activate your Windows - just login and use your Microsoft account - here is more info >> http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.