Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m6-1125dx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi

My hp envy laptop kept shutting down with error message overheat. I have created 7-DVDs recovery disks and inserted the first one and started to recover it and reset to manufacturer state. Once it is started i got a blue screen then it turned off. When i strated it again i got a black screen with an error message

Boot Device not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk

hard disk

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, visit http://m.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

i have googled the problem and some suggested to press f10 and go to bios/system configuration and reset legacy to enabled and restart. When i did this i got an error message "No bootable device, press enter" and when i press enter i got the same message.

I have unpluged the battery and hold power button for 15 secs and plugged again, i have reseat the hard drive and still have the same error. Do i need to re-install windows 8 ? i don't have a serial key sticker.

thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Activation key for Windows 8 64bit that came pre installed, is embedded in the BIOS chip on the motherboard.

On completing the installation, it should automatically get activated while connected to internet.

You've to get exact same version of Windows on the bootable media. You can get it using Microsoft windows media creation tool.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
Hi,

Hard drive may be failing.

Tap away f2 key as soon as you power on laptop. Do extensive hard drive tests. Let it finish.

I'll also do extensive system testing to rule out any other hardware failure as there is overheating issues.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

I have done the test yesterday (extentive one) it took around 3 hours and it passed

do you think should i get a bootable windows 8 DVD and boot the laptop from it? i can do this but i don't have serial number for my license installed on the laptop they don't stick stickers anymore.

HP Recommended

Activation key for Windows 8 64bit that came pre installed, is embedded in the BIOS chip on the motherboard.

On completing the installation, it should automatically get activated while connected to internet.

You've to get exact same version of Windows on the bootable media. You can get it using Microsoft windows media creation tool.

HP Recommended

Hey bro, 

IF YOUR HARD DISK IS STILL NOT FOUND 

The same thing happened to my hp notebook in January, and the sad news is your hard disk has crashed and it must be having some head issues. Check the warranty status as the hard disk needs to replaced now with all your data gone (as happened with me). HP said to me that they were not responsible for data loss and will not help at all in recovery. You can try your luck at recovery centres (I was not able to recover as head issues with  hard disks costs a lot). If your laptop is in warranty, contact them on their toll free number. And Yes, dont bother going to HP Service Centre if it is warranty because they will say that they cannot help if its in warranty and will give you the same toll free number.

Personally speaking, I also lost all my data to this hard disk problem and can understand how you must be feeling.

Also kindly check that you have all the recovery disks if your hard disk fails to perform because you only will need to download the OS again later. If you dont have them ask the call centre to provide you with the dvd (they provide it at a low cost.)

HP Recommended

@  thank you so much for your hint about the windows media tool. I have downloaded windows 8 and burned on a DVD and booted the laptop and install a fresh version of windows and as you said it activated through internet. My laptop is back to life now! thank GOD as i already have a recent backup from all my files/data now everything is back.

Thank you so much!

but i have one question, before this problem my laptop used to suddenly to shutdown and when i power it on back i get an error message saying overheat!. Is this related to spyware/virus or it is something in the harddisk?

i hope i won't get the same problem in future as this is why i thought if i reset the laptop i won't get the overhear error message.

Thank you again!

HP Recommended
Hi,

You're very welcome. Glad it is all fresh and ready to use.

For overheating issue, I'll have to suggest you to follow this HP document carefully:
http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01657439

Are you getting any system fan error?

If still overheating persists after following above steps, you'll have to reapply thermal paste over CPU/graphics, heat sink. Get help from certified technician to do this.

Regards

Visruth
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.