Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 17-ak003ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey there, I'm attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10 Home on an HP 64 laptop from a USB, I've used this same USB for a clean install on two other computers (within the last 3 days) without any issue. I've attempted all the ways to prompt the install that I know how (default in system USB boot option, advanced boot option, and through the f9 key on start up), none of which has worked. 

When the "boot from USB" option is selected, the screen goes black then displays the HP logo as on startup (once it showed the dots in a circle loading icon) and then nothing happens, it just stays stuck on that until I manually turn the laptop off. Yesterday I let it run for 6+ hours and the day before 5+, bot times nothing changed, just a constant HP logo.

I have used the default factory reset settings which worked, besides OOBE failing to start a couple times. I have also attempted disabling secure boot, and enabling legacy boot, neither of which did anything to change what happens when boot from USB is selected. I should note that a couple of times boot from USB is selected the laptop just loads up normally, like I had just turned it on and didn't try doing anything besides that.

I used Microsoft Media Creation Tool to make the USB

Here is the link to the HP page 

Product number
2DN12PA
Product name
HP Notebook - 17-ak003ax
Microprocessor
AMD Dual-Core A9-9420 APU (3 GHz base frequency, up to 3.6 GHz burst frequency, 1 MB cache)
Memory, standard
8 GB DDR4-1866 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
Video graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ 530 Graphics (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
  • Discrete
Hard drive
  • 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
  • 128 GB M.2 SSD
Wireless connectivity
Intel® 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo
Network interface
Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Bumb, still not working. Any help would be appreciated. Is it possible to gain more access in the insydeh20 bios?

HP Recommended

Alright, so again, could someone from this forum please offer some help.

Several things have changed with the laptop, Windows 10 still refuses to install from a USB boot doesn't matter if it's Windows Media Creation or Rufus, it just get's stuck on the HP logo and nothing happens. I was able to use Rufus to create a USB of  Win14393PESE_x86 and Win14393PESE_x64 and booted them onto the machine without any issues at all.  I have now used Rufus to make an Ubuntu USB and booted the machine with that, during the set up process I wiped both of the drives, it worked perfectly the machines OS is now Ubuntu.

Windows 10 no longer has anything to do with this machine it is fully Ubuntu, YET when trying to install Windows 10 with the USB boot the exact same thing happens (HP logo for days). I am completely lost as to how this is possible, it's like the machine actively doesn't want a clean install of Windows 10. If anyone has anything, however crazy please comment. I'm even considering flashing a new BIOS so I can get some more control than Insydeh20 allows for.

HP Recommended

Hi @MattMGK

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Run the extensive test on the computer and share the results -

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second.

When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are

shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it

available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in

Test Logs on the main menu.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Testing is done, no issues at all. Or at least it passed the tests. Any other advice, I feel like I've tried everything. I don't understand how a HP laptop can refuse to boot one specific OS?

HP Recommended

Let's try using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool -

Step 1: Prepare for recovery

Step 2: Download and install the HP Cloud Recovery Tool

Step 3: Run the HP Cloud Recovery Tool

Step 4: Recover the system

For instructions, refer to Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

I don't have a system to recover. The drive Windows was on has been wiped several times at this point, the laptop was also never backed up with the HP Cloud  Recovery Tool (I believe it was uninstalled). I would like a solution that doesn't require more third party programs than is necessary. All I should need is 1 USB drive with the Windows ISO file on it.

HP Recommended

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region they would be able to send you a recovery media.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.