Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

dv7 6143cl, Windows 7 64 bit.

The computer is several months old and yesterday I finally got around to looking at everything on the machine to see what was useful.

I opened SimplePass for the first time (AuthenTec version I believe) and set it up for with my Windows logon.

It works and may be useful in the future but no so much right now so I would like to disable or turn off the reader without uninstalling the software.

Also, just curious, the set up procedure I used was not like any of the tutorials on the HP sites.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
It is best to leave things as they are as long as the software is quiescent. This way it is a simple matter to reinstate your enrollment when you wish to use SimplePass logins. Merry Christmas!
Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi Aberfoyle,

You can disable the SmplePass software.  Keep these notes - you may want to use the software in the future.  When you disable the Driver (shown below), the software will no longer function.  You will have to "enable" the driver later when you want to use the fingerprinter.

Note that where you turn off the windows login, you can also decide to turn OFF Biometrics - if you are not using the software, this may be the best option.

Turn off Biometric Logins:

Remove the biometric login option:

Control Panel > Biometric Devices > Change Biometric Settings

UNCHECK "Allow users to log on to Windows using their fingerprints"

Save the changes.

To remove Biometrics data for all users, click the radio (round) button "Biometrics off"

Disable the Validity Sensor Driver:

The Validity Sensor Driver controls the fingerprinter hardware. 

The SimplePass software controls the password database.

You can disable the device.  The fingerprinter will no long work as long as the device remains disabled.

Control Panel > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Right-Click on Validity Sensor > Disable

I hope this helps.

Say “Thanks!” – Click the Kudos Star next to any Post that helps you.

Mark this Post “Accepted Solution” to say the solution provided worked for you.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, I may do that if i really decide I won;t be using the fingerprint scanner. I see the option to disable biometrics in device manager.

Before I read your advice what I actually did was delete all my enrolled fingerprints. The warning to make sure you remember your Windows password because you will need it to log on comes up and then the enrollment process starts over. I just closed the SimplePass dialog box and went back to device manager and confirmed that my biometrics status was "not enrolled". The fingerprint scanner has not been active since.

HP Recommended
It is best to leave things as they are as long as the software is quiescent. This way it is a simple matter to reinstate your enrollment when you wish to use SimplePass logins. Merry Christmas!
Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
Let's me download this "HP simplepass with fingerprint reader"
HP Recommended

Hi Yammko,

Make sure your notebook HAS a fingerprinter.  You didn't tell us what kind of notebook you have...

The fingerprinter is located to the right of the TouchPad and under the numeric keypad.

Fingerprinter.PNG

Below are the basic instructions to find the software and install . BEFORE you use the download and installation instructions, look on your computer and make sure you need to install the driver and software again.  You may already have what you need.

Depending on your notebook kind, you will be looking for EITHER

SimplePass

OR

Digital Persona

Start > search / type "SimplePass" OR "Digital Persona" > Click On whichever you find

========================================================================

If you have a fingerprinter on your computer and you do NOT have the software you need,

then proceed to find the appropriate driver and software for your machine:

Assure that you have copies of your driver and SimplePass software installation packages:

Go to the top of this Forum page - to Support and Drivers

• Enter your notebook model number
  • Open the HP web page for your Product / Model
  • Go to the Software and Drivers Downloads page
  • Enter your Operating System
  • Scroll down - Go to category Driver – Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices
  • Select “Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver” (Newest Version)
  • Save this installation package onto your computer.  Make a note of the file's NAME and its location.
  • Go to category Software - Security section and click to open it.
  • Select the SimplePass package
  • Save this installation package onto your computer.  Make a note of the file's NAME and its location. 

==========================================================================

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks to Dragon-fur !!

HP Recommended
Thank you.
My HP cursor was blinking on the same spot... and by turning off the biometrics got fix.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.