Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15z-ab000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am going to change the hard drive on my HP Pavilion to an SSD drive. This is my first attempt at doing such a thing so I think I may need some know how input. I would appreciate any helpful info you might know. I want to start the new drive off fresh and clean without all the errors, corruptions, and junk leftover with a clean install of the Win 10 iso image from Microsoft. Then install all my applications and such.

I'm changing the 500GB HD to a 500GB SSD. I am kind of worried about doing it thought. I have a Windows 10 iso image on an external drive and a flash drive. I'm concerned about installing the operating system to my new SSD and how go about it.

Preparations:

I have updated my bios in advance of the change out.

I have copied a .iso image file to my external drive and a flash drive as well. This fresh .iso image file is a fresh clean install of Windows 10, not an image from my own computer.

I have downloaded and copied the HP Support Assistance program for installation on the new drive once Windows is successfully installed.

I have copied and/or backed up all my files that I want to keep.

I have available my other software by either download or backup.

I have studied articles and watched videos of the drive change out all over the web and other information on doing the job.

The SSD maker tells me that installed the OS will automatically create new partitions and such to the new drive so I don't have to do any of that prep the drive stuff.

I think what I am most concerned about is my hardware drivers and such. Will Windows or the computer automatically see my hardware and apply necessary updates and drivers for the computer? Do I need to go download and backup any hardware or other issues not mentioned below? ...such as my Audio, Graphics, Touch pad, etc, all the stuff already in the computer? Do I have to look up makers of everything to get the drivers needed or will I still have them on board? What else do I need to have on hand from HP for my computer in order for this to be successful?

I am concerned about installing the OS because if anything goes wrong, I will not be able to get on the web for info or solutions. I'm trying to find out if there might be anything else for me to be concerned about, anything that I need to do before during and after the drive change. Have I got it right? What else do I need to know or should do? I know this is a lot of questions and I do much appreciate any help. Thanks much.

www.musicalhelp.org
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Here is a guide:

On page 37 of the service manual, you can see the steps to install the drive

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04643087

To install Windows again:

Download media creation tool from Microsoft on PC (before replacing drive), run and create a bootable pendrive with the OS on it. (there is an explanation on the Microsoft web page on how to create the pendrive). Create the drive with Windows 10 Home 64-bit edition. Windows will automatically activate once installed and connected to the Internet. This will be the latest version. You can skip the above part if you already created a bootable drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you choose this option you will need to use the pendrive to perform a clean install of Windows 10. You might need to disable fast boot and secure boot in BIOS (probably not). So, insert the pendrive in the PC and it should boot directly from the drive. If not, turn off the PC by holding the power button. Press the power button and immediately keep pressing ESC until the startup menu appears and then press F9 and choose the pendrive in the boot menu. Once it boots from pendrive follow the procedure to install Windows.

When finished installing allow Windows to completely update and find all or most drivers. You can follow this process by going into settings > Security and update > click on Verify for updates. You might need to reboot a couple of times.

I recommend installing HP support assistant which will help keep your drivers up to date and much more. You can download the latest version from here.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Once completely updated you can go into device manager and see if there are any missing drivers (there will be yellow exclamation mark next to the device). You can find these drivers and software on HP support page for your product.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-15-ab000-notebook-pc-series/7771366/model/8542765/m...

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Here is a guide:

On page 37 of the service manual, you can see the steps to install the drive

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04643087

To install Windows again:

Download media creation tool from Microsoft on PC (before replacing drive), run and create a bootable pendrive with the OS on it. (there is an explanation on the Microsoft web page on how to create the pendrive). Create the drive with Windows 10 Home 64-bit edition. Windows will automatically activate once installed and connected to the Internet. This will be the latest version. You can skip the above part if you already created a bootable drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you choose this option you will need to use the pendrive to perform a clean install of Windows 10. You might need to disable fast boot and secure boot in BIOS (probably not). So, insert the pendrive in the PC and it should boot directly from the drive. If not, turn off the PC by holding the power button. Press the power button and immediately keep pressing ESC until the startup menu appears and then press F9 and choose the pendrive in the boot menu. Once it boots from pendrive follow the procedure to install Windows.

When finished installing allow Windows to completely update and find all or most drivers. You can follow this process by going into settings > Security and update > click on Verify for updates. You might need to reboot a couple of times.

I recommend installing HP support assistant which will help keep your drivers up to date and much more. You can download the latest version from here.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Once completely updated you can go into device manager and see if there are any missing drivers (there will be yellow exclamation mark next to the device). You can find these drivers and software on HP support page for your product.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-15-ab000-notebook-pc-series/7771366/model/8542765/m...

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Wow, gee thanks David. You've pretty much answered most of my concerns. I did run the media creation tool to make a recovery media for auto install so now I have that instead of just the .iso image on a disc. I wasn't sure what was going to happen over the Windows registration/activation key so I looked into that just in case. Oddly, I bought this unit new from HP a couple years ago. It came with Windows 10 on it along with other bundle wares and yet I find two different Windows keys on my computer. One is in system info and one is from system32 command prompt method, different keys entirely, number of characters and all. I suppose I really didn't get a new computer, I got an updated leftover with an original Windows 7/8 key which was updated to 10.

During the OS installation at some point, is it going to ask me for a key? Which one should I use? Stupid question because it is a recovery media for Windows 10 that I just created. lol I'm learning and happy to admit it thought it feels somehow like I've been through all this before, likely a couple times when I needed to restore or recover.

Thanks much for your insights and suggestions along with the links. That kind of covers it I think unless you want to add something about the Windows key.

www.musicalhelp.org
HP Recommended

You're welcome.

You do not need a product key, as it is in the firmware and you will not be asked for a product key during install. If for some reason you are asked for the key, just click on "do not have one" and continue the installation. Once installed and connected to the internet, Windows will automatically activate.

Let me know if you need further help.

All the best,

David

HP Recommended

Before I install the SSD, I'd like to clear the hard drive of my data and such and install the fresh Windows 10 on it first. how do I make certain that the hard drive is clear of all my data and such? I have a flash drive created per above with a fresh Windows 10. I'm not sure how to do this. Can I install Windows 10 on the hard drive from my flash drive image? I'm sure I can but I don't know how to proceed with the OP install on the hard drive. I do know how to install the OP on the SSD after I put it in. Note: the computer came with Windows 10 on it but the backup/recovery stuff inside is looking for a Windows 7 backup and does not recognize the 10 on my flash drive, shows no backups. I can't find any way to put the Windows 10 on it from the recovery stuff.

www.musicalhelp.org
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.