Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

What is the best solution to fix BSOD WDF Violation, amdsfhkmdf.sys failure?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide me. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@netwkpro 

Bluescreen failures (i.e., BSODs) are notoriously difficult to diagnose and to fix -- far beyond what WE typically can do in THIS self-help Community.

You have a couple of different options to chose from ...

--------------------

The first is that of specialized forums where where folks have vast experience troubleshooting, diagnosing, and suggesting repairs for BSODs.

The community Win10 forums has a section devoted to diagnosing BSODs. So, your best bet would be to post your problem there: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

--------------------

The second is using free software to examine the logs that BSODs produce. This app is known as bluescreenview and is available from NirSoft, from here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You will then have to go online to do searches with that information to get further suggestions about what to do.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response and assistance. I was able to fix the problem. Once I was able to get a command prompt, I located the file that was causing the problem. The file "amdsfhkmdf.sys" is located in the directory: c:\windows\system32\drivers

I renamed the file to "amdsfhkmdf.sys.old", and rebooted the laptop. The laptop started correctly, and there were no errors or files missing. This is my daughter's laptop, and she's a graphic designer and artist. She has some very large Adobe design files, and has not been diligent in backing up her files. This situation scared her so badly, that she purchased an external hard drive today, and backed up all her files. 

HP Recommended

WDF_VIOLATION BSOD Error is another blue screen of death error that appears on the Windows system due to fault in the HP keyboard driver. Here are few DIY troubleshooting methods that will guide you in solving the wdf_violation BSOD error in Windows system:

Method 1- Try Driver Verifier 

Method 2- Scan for Viruses 

Method 3- Uninstall Windows Update 

Method 4- Update the Drivers 

Method 5- Try Disconnecting USB Peripherals 

Method 6- Uninstall the Bluetooth Driver via Safe Mode 

Method 7- Run System File Checker 

Method 8- Perform System Restore 

Hope it helps!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance. Should this problem occur again, I will refer to your reply. Cheers. 

HP Recommended

Re: Netwkpro

Signed up to just say thank-you for the solution.

After installing some AMD updates this was the exact result, I could boot to safe mode then rename the file and PC  was then booting as normal. This was a Windows Update issue listing amd driver updates that BSOD your PC.

Once again Thanks a lot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.