Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 bs 544tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I just replaced my laptop's DVD drive with an SSD. I deleted the earlier windows partitions along with the recovery. Now when I install windows on the SSD, the recovery partition get created on the HDD. How can I make sure it gets installed on the SSD? I want this so that I can copy from the SSD independently with the HDD.

Note, I'm talking about my laptop and I do not wish to open it to disconnect the hdd.

Thanks✌️

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@rdias002

I'm not aware that an installation of Win10 from media provided by MS creates a Recovery partition.  So, what media are you using to install Win10?

Your best bet, when doing a fresh install, is to have ONLY the drive you want the OS and boot loader files on connected.  In this case, disconnect your HDD and install with only the SSD connected.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. I am using a bootable usb for the installation. And as I mentioned in the description, it's my laptop. I do not want to open it for disconnecting the HDD. Is there a software alternative?

HP Recommended

@rdias002

I still don't understand your problem -- as even with a USB stick, media create from an MS download is not going to create a Recovery partition because that is only done using media provided by HP.

You will HAVE to open the laptop to use the SSD for the OS because you will have to replace the HDD there.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood, Thank you once again for the reply. I made the bootable usb from an ISO file and not windows creation media. Anyway, irrespective of that, the news that there's no software solution, kills me. I'll just have to continue the way it is.
However, if in the future my HDD fails, the windows from SSD would fail to boot as well, am I right? What would I do then?

HP Recommended

I got it resolved! I created the recovery and system reserved partitions in my SSD manually using diskpart.

select disk 1

create partition primary size=500 id=DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC

create partition efi size=100

format quick fs=fat32 label="System"

Then deleted the same from my HDD. So then when I installed windows 10 on the SSD, it created the boot manager in my SSD itself instead of the HDD.

I got the ID and more help from here

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.