cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

How to retain or re-install "Moviemaker" after restore, install or transfer.

HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion g7 notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My g7 notebook came pre-loaded with Win 8.1 Home. "Windows Moviemaker" was part of the installed package. Computer was later "free" upgraded to Win 10 Home while that option was still being offered ......all is good there.

Problem is that the physical hinge is breaking and I want to transfer my system .....including moviemaker to another desktop I have. Target desktop is a HP Compaq Elite 8300 running windows 10 Pro.

Questions are:

1) How can I do that?

2) Would any other download of "Win 8.1 Home" include moviemaker?

Main goal is to get the original "Win 8.1 Home" system and key functioning on the desktop.

Specifically to maintain Windows Moviemaker in the transfer, that download of course is no longer available at Microsoft.

Regards

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
27,047 26,975 2,465 5,857
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@axeroad

One thing you can't transfer to another PC is the Windows 8.1 HP OEM license -- as that is tied to the original PC, not to the PC owner.

While you CAN then transfer stuff like settings, data, and apps, you need a third-party product to transfer the apps.  I have tried two that work reasonably well with Win7 and Win8x: Laplink PC Mover Pro, and Easeus To PC Trans.  Both are commerical and both cost money to purchase and use.  There is no free alternative as the former Windows Easy Transfer does not migrate apps, only data and settings.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation