Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
Hi,
I just received the HP windows 8 recovery kit.(3 CDs)
The problem is after following the instructions,
Placing the cd in cd drive and switch on the laptop and repeatedly hitting on Esc bottom to
Get the start menu option the press F9 and choosing one of the 3 options. Which I picked windows recovery but few seconds later the blue screen came up saying your pic ran it's a problem and it will restart automatically!
This happened few times by now!
Could you please help?
Many thanks
Ms2017
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you plug in a usb flash drive or hard drive it should let you choose. For what it is worth-this option can get testy when trying to restore files after the Recovery. Unless you have low number of files,photos,etc it might be difficult.

A better option is doing the backup from within Windows.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

After Esc brings up menu and F9 is an option- after tapping F9 you should see the option to boot from CD/DVD drive. 

HP Recommended
  1. Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. 
  2. Insert the first recovery CD, and then turn off the computer.
  3. With the computer off, press and hold the power button to turn on the computer.
  4. Immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.
    Figure : Startup Menu
     Startup Menu
  5. Press F9 to open the Boot Device Options menu.
  6. Use the up or down arrow key to select the CD/DVD drive, and then press Enter.
    Figure : Boot Option Menu
     Boot Option Menu

NOTE:
    If you cannot select the disc drive from the Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Mode in the BIOS. For detailed instructions, see the Disabling Secure Boot on a notebook computer (Windows 😎 section in this document.

HP Recommended
Hi CherylG,

Many thanks for your help!
I followed your instruction and I am a bit stuck as I get to the screen in Recovery manager with 2 options:
To backup files
Factory Reset
I thought to choose first backup files since I haven't done that since 2 years ago when I bought my laptop! My problem is now the system is asking me where to save the backup? And the only option is E drive, DVDRW- DVD-ROM. Does this means that I have to save the files in DVDRW only or could I use USB( but I don't see any option for USB!)! Sorry if you find my questions rather odd!
Many thanks
HP Recommended

If you plug in a usb flash drive or hard drive it should let you choose. For what it is worth-this option can get testy when trying to restore files after the Recovery. Unless you have low number of files,photos,etc it might be difficult.

A better option is doing the backup from within Windows.

HP Recommended
Hi CherylG,
Thank you so much for your help!
My laptop is back on working !
I haven't tried to restore my backup files yet .
Thanks again for taking time to help me it's much appreciated!😊

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. Happy to hear you are back up and running.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.