Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 360 14

Recent issue started 2 days ago. Working on and off during day producing newsletter. Access denied because I’d shut down too many times or too many failed sign in attempts ( not true). Told to wait at least 2 hours and try again. 
what is going on here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Alex-123,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand your HP Pavilion x360 laptop is encountering some authentication issues, preventing you from logging in using your PIN or fingerprint. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

• Restart the Laptop: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary glitches or issues with the system.
  • Check Internet Connectivity: Some systems require Internet connectivity for certain authentication methods. Make sure your laptop is connected to the internet, especially if you are using a Microsoft account for authentication.
  • Verify PIN and Fingerprint Settings: Double-check that your PIN and fingerprint settings are correctly configured. You can do this through the Windows settings menu.
  • Reset PIN: If you suspect an issue with your PIN, you can try resetting it. Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, and under "PIN", select "I forgot my PIN" to reset it.
  • Update Drivers: Ensure that your laptop's drivers, especially those related to the fingerprint sensor and authentication, are up to date. You can do this through the Device Manager in Windows.  Software and Drivers for HP Pavilion x360 - 14m-cd0003dx
  • Run Windows Troubleshooter: Windows includes built-in troubleshooters that can help diagnose and resolve various issues. You can access them through the Settings menu.
  • Check for Updates: Make sure your operating system is up to date by checking for Windows updates. Sometimes, installing the latest updates can resolve compatibility issues or bugs.

Resolve Windows Hello issues:

• Windows Hello, the feature responsible for PIN and fingerprint login, can sometimes malfunction. Try the following:
    • Restart your laptop: This can often resolve temporary glitches.
    • Update Windows: Make sure you have the latest Windows updates installed, as they might include bug fixes for Windows Hello.
    • Re-register your PIN or fingerprint: Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options and remove your current PIN or fingerprint. Then, re-register them to see if it fixes the issue.
  • System Restore: If the issue started recently and you suspect it may be related to a recent change or update, you can try using System Restore to revert your system to a previous state when it was working correctly.

Refer to this document: HP Pavilion x360 - 14m-cd0003dx

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gaya1239 – HP Support.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Alex-123,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand your HP Pavilion x360 laptop is encountering some authentication issues, preventing you from logging in using your PIN or fingerprint. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

• Restart the Laptop: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary glitches or issues with the system.
  • Check Internet Connectivity: Some systems require Internet connectivity for certain authentication methods. Make sure your laptop is connected to the internet, especially if you are using a Microsoft account for authentication.
  • Verify PIN and Fingerprint Settings: Double-check that your PIN and fingerprint settings are correctly configured. You can do this through the Windows settings menu.
  • Reset PIN: If you suspect an issue with your PIN, you can try resetting it. Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options, and under "PIN", select "I forgot my PIN" to reset it.
  • Update Drivers: Ensure that your laptop's drivers, especially those related to the fingerprint sensor and authentication, are up to date. You can do this through the Device Manager in Windows.  Software and Drivers for HP Pavilion x360 - 14m-cd0003dx
  • Run Windows Troubleshooter: Windows includes built-in troubleshooters that can help diagnose and resolve various issues. You can access them through the Settings menu.
  • Check for Updates: Make sure your operating system is up to date by checking for Windows updates. Sometimes, installing the latest updates can resolve compatibility issues or bugs.

Resolve Windows Hello issues:

• Windows Hello, the feature responsible for PIN and fingerprint login, can sometimes malfunction. Try the following:
    • Restart your laptop: This can often resolve temporary glitches.
    • Update Windows: Make sure you have the latest Windows updates installed, as they might include bug fixes for Windows Hello.
    • Re-register your PIN or fingerprint: Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options and remove your current PIN or fingerprint. Then, re-register them to see if it fixes the issue.
  • System Restore: If the issue started recently and you suspect it may be related to a recent change or update, you can try using System Restore to revert your system to a previous state when it was working correctly.

Refer to this document: HP Pavilion x360 - 14m-cd0003dx

I hope this helps. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hello Gayá 1239. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to respond in detail. Much appreciated. I have tried some of your suggestions already including adding a different finger print which works.

i had not thought of resetting my pin nor delegating my previous fingerprint so I will try this too. Windows 11 drivers up to date.

Internet connectivity isn’t an issue but I’ll troubleshoot those laptop drivers for signing in. 
many thanks. 
Alex. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Alex-123 ,

That's great! Thank you for your responses If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accept as Solution and Kudos, Thumbs Up buttons on the public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.