Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion dv 2040us
black lignt on start cap and numbet lock blink once every 3 sec volume switch top of key board staying red and the wifi icon to the right staying red also plus the fan does stay on and hard drive makes noise to start but stops only thom left is the light and fan running with black screen please can anyone help me and performed a few test but none worked thank any for some info plesse
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thanks getting backwith me my model number is pavilion dv4-2040us and the problem is black screen cap lock and number cap lick blink once and 3 seconds later blink again also the mute light staying on red and wifi light to the right of keyboard stayin red the comes on the hard drive starts but then stops

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello sjv6871

You didnt give the full model number.

Is this for the DV7 version with Windows 7?

If so...

3 Blinks of the Caps/Numlock light are related to bad memory sticks.

You memory should be DDR2-800 PC2-6400 200 pin SODIMM 1.8v

You can download and create a memory tester with either a DVD or a USB flash drive with MemTest86 Free Edition.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Any errors will most likely mean the ram needs to be replaced.

If you have two sticks installed, I would test them only one at a time. That means you will have to remove one and run the test, exchange the other and run the test again.

ALSO:  Before running the tests, simply take the memory out and reseat them. See if that helps. If not, run the mem tests.

The website has instructions on how to use the tester.

Example...

How to Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.
  2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.
  3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

Let  me know what else I can help with.

HP Recommended
Thanks getting backwith me my model number is pavilion dv4-2040us and the problem is black screen cap lock and number cap lick blink once and 3 seconds later blink again also the mute light staying on red and wifi light to the right of keyboard stayin red the comes on the hard drive starts but then stops
HP Recommended
But mute and wifi lights never use to stay on please help
HP Recommended

OK sorry, you said it blinks once every 3 seconds. The chart shows one blink = CPU not functional.

Just the same, try running the PC with one stick of ram at a time.

Memory could still be bad.

Also before you turn do that, remove the battery and power cord, then hold the power button down for 30 seconds.

Then remove a stick of ram and test.

If that does not help, you have another physical problem I cannot help with on the forum.

A technician would have to look at it to determine if its a motherboard/cpu issue or other physical problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.