Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Notebook TPN-W121
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I dropped my laptop and when I boot it up it says "Boot Device Not Found", when I do the quick check for the hard drive it says Hard drive not installed.

BTW its a Hard Disk Drive

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Most likely the hard drive was damaged as a result of dropping your notebook.

You will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Consult the service manual for your specific model notebook (TPN-W121 is not the model number), for the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

Use this guide for how to find the product number/model number of your notebook...

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Most likely the hard drive was damaged as a result of dropping your notebook.

You will need to install a new hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

Consult the service manual for your specific model notebook (TPN-W121 is not the model number), for the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

Use this guide for how to find the product number/model number of your notebook...

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Is it possible to recover the data? (It has another drive labeled RECOVERY, but I'm not sure what it is for )

HP Recommended

There is a slight chance of recovering data if you remove the drive, buy a SATA to USB adapter, and then plug one end into the failed hard drive, the other end into a working PC's USB port and see if you can read/copy any of the folders/files you want to save onto a portable hard drive or the PC.

Something like this...

Amazon.com: StarTech.com SATA to USB Cable - USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive Adapter - External ...

HP Recommended

I opened it up (The warrenty expired long ago), uplugged the hard drive and put it back in. Its working again

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Glad you got lucky on that one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.