Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am responsible for 30,000 computers in the Enterprise and we are using the HPIA tool to scan and directly download the necessary drivers and BIOS software from HP during an in-place upgrade.  We do this because of so many remote devices that are disconnected from the enterprise network thanks to Covid-19.

My findings are it takes exactly 1 hour and 4 minutes to download 7 drivers from HP servers.  This is a repeatable process on this device and other models.  

This same driver update process on our DELL models using DELL's Command Update, downloads in less than five minutes.

So now my question to HP is why is HP's server processing so horrible it makes me cringe?  I am beginning to group HP devices with Lenovo.  And Lenovo makes me sick to my stomach.

If HP is reading this, I suggest you inform your server management of this real issue.  I have read HP forum articles from 6/2017 about the same slow driver download issue others were experiencing.  3 years later the problem still exists.  Wow!

Please, no canned responses.  Just get this to the server groups attention.  Shake a stick at them if you have to.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@SGCoyote 

Certainly not meant to be "canned".

If you have not done so,

Try / Consider

SSM (System Software Manager) for deployment.

HPIA is indeed a pretty hardcore approach for updating 30,000 individual computers.

In fact, as you have discovered, HPIA is meant to update an individual business class machine.

HPIA works well for my home office (just a few machines).

I can well imagine the process is painful when deploying many systems.

For those reading:

Client Management Solutions - Overview

HP Client Management Solutions support most HP commercial desktops, notebooks, and workstations.

Client Management Solutions – Manageability Tools

Available Tools and what they can do for you

and

Client Management Solutions - HP Whitepapers 

then on to:

HP System Software Manager - SSM - User Guide 

===============================================================

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I appreciate your reply.

The SSM requires a repository of drivers.  As I mentioned most of the machines are off site and connected via VPN or only to the internet using the O365 connections.  So, these machines won't have access to an on site repository needing to connect to HP's servers for the driver downloads.  If DELL can do it, why cant HP?

HPIA is a business class tool as told by HP themselves. "The HP Image Assistant is an essential tool that provides assistance to IT System Administrators to improve the quality and security of their HP PCs running Microsoft Windows by analyzing, identifying problems, and recommending solutions."

I am not trying to argue but point out they have a very slow download across an internet only connected device.  If you do not represent HP or have the ability to forward this issue to them, please say so and I voice this issue with them directly.

HP Recommended

@SGCoyote 

Right.

Clarification:

I do not work for HP.

I cannot forward this to the business / enterprise group for you.

HP maintains no official presence on our Community.

I do suggest you bring this to the attention of your Enterprise HP representative (assuming your IT department maintains a corporate account with HP Support).

I shall withdraw in good grace, having nothing else to offer on the subject.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The HP engineers were contacted and suggested altering a default setting in the configuration file to allow multiple threads.

Edit the file "HPImageAssistant.dll.config".  Find the setting "MaxDownloadNum" and change the value from 1 to 4.

This should allow for multiple simultaneous downloads. 

HP Recommended

@SGCoyote 

Interesting solution suggestion.

Thanks for posting back.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.