Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi...

It is possible to disable secure boot and enable legacy mode in HP probook 450 G3.

Go to BIOS-Security- uncheck the TPM State. Reboot and enter the 3 digit code .

Go to BIOS again - Advanced - secure boot and enable the legacy mode without secure boot. Save and exit.

Thats it

HP Recommended

Hi ,

I''ve Managed to do this by going to BIOS by pressing F10, applying a password to BIOS then saving it and restated the Laptop.

If you then choose the option from secure boot setting  "Legay support Enabled and Secure boot Disabled" option and save  it should work. 

Cheers

Ven

HP Recommended

Interestingly I did this for a version of the 430 which worked, however it isn't for the 640 G2's that we have - when hitting enter to create the password it just outright ignores the request!

Also tried the "reset security settings to factory defaults" option, which does the same thing when trying to hit enter on yes.

As with others on this topic, any changes are reverted even if saved.

HP Recommended
I found out how to install without switching in the bios which i could not enable Legacy boot. What I did was put a Windows 8 disc in the drive and closed it. I used another computer with Windows 8 And made a USB recovery, I put the USB in the computer that I'm trying to fix and power the computer on and it booted from the USB without me touching anything. It booted up and I chose language I went to repair advance options and press restore to image (which I didn't have a image) then I hit advance or load drivers, then I went to look for driver by hitting the drop down button and I looked for the CD where I inserted the windows 8 disc, I right clicked open and looked for the setup icon and click setup. Then windows 8 disc loaded and when I got to choose the disc where I wanted to install it or format it, I got and error that I couldn't install on a Gpt, so Google how to convert from Gpt (to or from depends what the error say) you will have to hit shift f10, and then a command box came up and I watch the video how to convert, then it loaded windows 8, (when Windows 8 restart make sure you take out the usb
HP Recommended

ISSUE RESOLVED:

My issue was after "enable legacy boot..." I was attempting to use the number pad w/out enabling it with the number lock key... You can also use the number keys on your top horizontol row of keyboard - you can tell the number key input is working becuase the numbers will display on the bios screen. 

Read the Effing Manual!!!
HP Recommended

@jwillis3327 wrote:

ISSUE RESOLVED:

My issue was after "enable legacy boot..." I was attempting to use the number pad w/out enabling it with the number lock key... You can also use the number keys on your top horizontol row of keyboard - you can tell the number key input is working becuase the numbers will display on the bios screen. 

I applaud you for posting that.

Most people won't admit their ignorance of the simplest things and many won't admit to making mistakes at all.

I know there is something simple that the original author of this thread was missing, but did not feel like getting flamed for suggesting it.

Keep moving forward and learning. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Using HP Probook 650 , same story, but your method finally worked , a real headache, actually there were two reasons, one was the TPM clearing, the other issue was the numlock for the code after changing UEFI , one MUST press numlock , only than the code will become visible on the screen, otherwise only four characters appear which is very confusing as one might suggest the code is entered but that is not the case. That is the reason why after reboot secure boot is STILL activated even though it should be disabled...very tricky , really nasty way of HP of implementing a technique.

Took me a few hours to figure that out.

Of course fast boot must be disabled too.

The main reason is the numlock so even when four characters are entered the system does the " music" , peeps and reboots so you think it is all fine,....NOT !!!
The numbercode MUST be visible when you type it and that was not the case and that is why the system remained in secure boot mode. Now I must find a way using Rufus probably to slipstream the intel  usb 3 drivers into the WIM file.
As the system ONLY has usb 3 ports so there is no way around it unfortunately , as is often heard just plug it into a usb 2 port , nope, wont work, in this case.
All this to get win7 64 bit  on the machine, as not everbody is too pleased with windows 10 , in my case I had the typical sleep issue on external usb drives, meaning the external usb disk falls asleep after a minute or so and there is no way to fix it, believe you me , tried it all, power settings, updates, the works, nothing works. So I have to get rid of windows 10 asap.

HP probook are beautiful machines but this UEFI issue is a bummer.
Again, clear TPM and make sure you PRESS NUMLOCK or you will be stuck for a few hours
wish you luck 🙂

HP Recommended

In reply to:  Robert-Floyd16 . . . https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Impossible-to-Disable-Secure-Bo...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What BIOS am I using? . . . BIOS Version / Date . . . on an HP z240 Workstation Tower

Previous . . . HP N51 Ver. 01.54, 03/16/17
Current . . . HP N51 Ver. 01.58, 06/02/17

I've tried the following "settings" on both of these BIOS'es.

These first two "settings" do not appear to be necessary when making a clone. How do I know? . . . Because I left them on default, everything seemed to go ok, and my clones appeared to work fine for regular things I do:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

. . . I found from BIOS go to Security and uncheck System Management Command.

BIOS Setup (F10) / Security / [un-check] System Management Command / Save / Yes

NO, OK TO LEAVE CHECKED - IT JUST ALLOWS HP PERSONNEL TO RESET SECURITY SETTINGS.  CHECK OUT WHAT SMC IS, IN THIS PDF:

HP PC Commercial BIOS (UEFI) Setup Administration Guide For Business Notebook and Desktop 2015 Models, May 2016 . . . http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05166986

EXTRACT FROM THE PDF:

What is the "System Management Command (SMC)"?

When checked, allows authorized HP service personnel in possession of the PC to reset security settings in case of a customer service event.

For customers that require more BIOS security, uncheck this to prevent this type of HP service command.

NOTE: In the event BIOS password is lost and this option is disabled, HP authorized personnel will not be able to remove a lost password.

. . . Next go into Secure Boot Configuration. Enable Legacy support and secure boot disable. Also uncheck Enable MS UEFI CA key. Then save and exit.

BIOS Setup (F10) / Advanced / Secure Boot Configuration
. . . Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable
. . . Also un-check Enable MS UEFI CA key

NO, NOT NECESSARY. WHY? - SEE HOW THE "MS UEFI CA" key IS GREYED OUT, AFTER YOU ENABLE "LEGACY SUPPORT."

. . . Then go into Advanced and Boot option, uncheck fast boot.

Yes, I just leave this un-checked in the BIOS, which is reflected in Windows.  I don't notice any difference in Startup time, maybe because my C: is an SSD.

. . . Do not press any keys on the restart. It will prompt you to enter a four digit code. Once you enter it and press enter it will restart again.

Hit "NumLock" _before_ you type in the 4-digit code.  If you don't, the numbers you enter will be discarded, and your settings lost . . . The number you type in will be shown below, while you're typing it.

. . . Then you can use esc to bring up other menu options such as pxe boot and the boot menu.

Yes

HP Recommended

Hit "NumLock" _before_ you type in the 4-digit code.  If you don't, the numbers you enter will be discarded, and your settings lost . . . The number you type in will be shown below, while you're typing it.

HP Recommended

>>>   IN REPLY TO THE HP EXPERT

I am the original author of this thread and just stumbled upon your reply for which I am still receiving updates.

I wish there had been something as "simple" as locking in the number pad to solve this issue. However, I did try this along with another gazillion settings and combinations over the DAYS that I wasted trying to solve this mess. 

Suggesting that I simply couldn't resolve it because of not admitting my ignorance is, however, totally ridiculous. If anything, it goes to shows your lack of understanding of the rampant issues that plague the OEM Bios issues pertaining to the newer HP laptops. Hence your absence of decisive feedback over the past few months.

I just wish you had been as prompt in making such vitriolic comment as you could have been to help resolve this problem which, as far as I'm concerned, still remains UNRESOLVED.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.