Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TS 15 - J1Y24EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,
Recently my fingerprint reader, the built in kind, will not show any signs of life, nor will it either show up on smart pass, or windows settings. Even when I run my finger over it, it shows no lights, or anything.
When it first started, when I opened my laptop, the security question would just pop up. Meaning it had tried reading my fingerprint three times. Even if I had not touched it.

I am sorely confused.
I have updated simplepass, and reverted it again.
I have looked for an update to the device manager and the fingerprint reader itself.

I have dissabled it and einabled it just incase.

I was going to refresh my laptop, but I would then lose all of the HP programs, including simplepass. And it would take hours to regain it all back again. I really don't want to try this option.

Thank you in advance,

Krystyan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! There I Have Had So Many Problems To With My Finger Print Reader And Here Is What I Did To Help Fix It For A While:smileyvery-happy:

Step 1: Uninstall This Driver From The Control Panel Validity WBF DDK

Step 2: Restart The PC

Step 3: Type In The Start Screen HP Recovery Manager

Step 4: Reinstall The Driver Validity WBF DDK

Step 5: It Should Work Now If It Does Not Repeat The Same Steps Again Some Times I Will Have To Repeat The Same Steps Again

Good Luck!

Regards: 1029rjmenvy17t

Please 'KUDO' If You Like for Thumbs Up and 'Accept As Solution' If This Fixed Your Problem

To Help Other People Find This and Help Them Fix the Same or Similar Problems

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! There I Have Had So Many Problems To With My Finger Print Reader And Here Is What I Did To Help Fix It For A While:smileyvery-happy:

Step 1: Uninstall This Driver From The Control Panel Validity WBF DDK

Step 2: Restart The PC

Step 3: Type In The Start Screen HP Recovery Manager

Step 4: Reinstall The Driver Validity WBF DDK

Step 5: It Should Work Now If It Does Not Repeat The Same Steps Again Some Times I Will Have To Repeat The Same Steps Again

Good Luck!

Regards: 1029rjmenvy17t

Please 'KUDO' If You Like for Thumbs Up and 'Accept As Solution' If This Fixed Your Problem

To Help Other People Find This and Help Them Fix the Same or Similar Problems

HP Recommended

Thank you very much,
When I went through the control panel, for some reason there was nothing there, so after going to HP recovery I installed Validity (Not the same name as you gave, but it started with it) and once I restarted, it worked.

It would be handy if recovery manager mentioned which drivers/software were not installed! It would make finding issues so much easier, because I had looked through the recovery manager earlier, and it was there, I assumed I already had it.

But thank you very much for your help, releived a lot of panic 🙂

HP Recommended

Well It Was On There Just Went Corrupt

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem on my HP Envy dv7t Quad Laptop after installing Windows 10 Creators Update. I _believe_ the W10 Creators Update edition has its own fingerprint sign-in software (for PCs using a fingerprint sensor) which conflicts with the original HP Simple Pass software. To solve the problem, I opened the Programs application and permanently uninstalled the HP Simple Pass program software...but, I kept (did not uninstall) the Validity Sensors program software. After rebooting/restarting the HP Laptop, I signed in using my personal password. Then, I opened Settings --> Accounts --> Sign-in options (next to the Key icon) --> Windows Hello --> Fingerprint (Add options). I followed the prompts to create a (new) fingerprint. I had to slide my sign-in finger across the sensor several times until the software was satisfactorily (re)programmed.

The W10 Creators Update fingerprint sign-in software works much better than did the original HP Simple Pass software on my HP Laptop. If applicable, I hope what solved my problem will solve yours too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.