Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion — 15-bc304ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A WD Black SN750 [WDS500G3X0C-00SJG0] (PCI-E 3.0 x4 NVMe) was installed in the laptop. Bios sees ssd only in legasy mode. When starting the Windows installation (image from the official site) from USB, ssd is visible if it is launched via UEFI. Installation takes place, but after reboot the installer starts again. If you then start a computer with a WD Black SSD, the "No bootable device" error appears. When starting the Windows installation from USB without UEFI, the error "Windows installation to disk is not possible" is displayed. When disclosing the details of the error, it is displayed "Perhaps the hardware of this computer does not support booting from this disk. Make sure that the controller of this disk is enabled in the Bios menu of the computer."

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey @Daria_kr  !

Hope your doing fine! ?

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Community. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To insure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards.

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Support Community Moderator
HP Recommended

The question was asked in English.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Daria_kr 

According to the service manual for your notebook's model series, only M.2 SATA SSD's are supported, not NVMe,.

See chapter 1, page 1.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion Notebook PC

Hard drive Supports all 7.0 mm/7.2 mm/9.5 mm, SATA, 2.5-inch hard drives
Supports M.2 SATA storage

The 15-bc300 series is the only series in the manual where NVMe SSD's are not supported.

The 15-bc-400 model series does indicate SATA M.2 drives only, but then on the next page, it indicates that Optane memory is supported.  Optane memory requires NVMe capability.

So if the slot supports Optane, it supports NVMe.

The specs for the 15-bc300 series do not indicate that Optane memory is supported.

I recommend you exchange the WD Black NVMe drive, for a WD Blue M.2 SATA drive.

HP Recommended

Why is Nvme indicated in the recommendations for the same model in this discussion?

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/SSD-for-HP-Pavilion-15-bc304ur...

HP Recommended

I was wrong in that discussion from a year ago, as the manual does not show NVMe drives as supported in the 15-bc300 model series.

Also this person has the same model series...NVMe drive doesn't work.

Even the Crucial memory report indicated it would.

Re: BIOS or OS will not recognise M2 drive - HP Support Community - 7914256

Thanks for pointing out that old discussion. 

I have deleted my reply there to prevent others from using it to make the wrong decision on what SSD to install.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.