Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-dy2035ms
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I recently purchased a brand new HP 15-dy2035ms touchscreen laptop with a 128GB m.2 drive. I have a new WD Blue 500GB SN550 nvme pcie drive I was wanting to put into the system as a storage upgrade. However when installing windows the nvme drive does not show up at all when selecting a drive to install too. So I updated to the latest bios and even threw in the windows 7 and 8.1 storage controller driver for this nvme drive. Still would not detect in windows installation. So I decided that I would go ahead and reinstall windows from scratch on the m.2 drive that came with the system. Oddly enough, the drive is still undetectable even though it can boot into the factory image of windows that came with it? I have tried recreating windows installation media to ensure that my installation is up to date. Is there any work around to this? Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @AbsoluteTech 

You need to install the storage controller drivers for the Intel 11th gen core processors, which W10 does not natively include yet.

So...follow the guidance on this link. 

HP PCs - No Drives Can Be Found During Windows 10 Installation (Intel 11th Generation processors) | ...

I have zipped up and attached the F6 driver folder HP tells you to browse to the driver for, so there is no need to find the storage driver you need from the support site.

Chapter 1, page 2 of the service manual linked to your PC's support page indicates the M.2 slot supports both SATA and NVMe SSD's, so I don't believe that it is a hardware compatibility issue.

HP 15s-dy2000 Laptop PC series Manuals | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@AbsoluteTech 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c07006534

which clearly says it has  128 GB SATA 3 TLC SSD. That explains why " WD Blue 500GB SN550 nvme pcie drive" won't work.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Ive noticed that. When I purchased the system on Amazon it was advertised to have a 128GB nvme pcie. But still even on the m.2 drive that came with it I cannot install windows from scratch as the drive is undetectable in windows installation. But it still boots to windows just fine. Is there any way to install windows from scratch. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @AbsoluteTech 

You need to install the storage controller drivers for the Intel 11th gen core processors, which W10 does not natively include yet.

So...follow the guidance on this link. 

HP PCs - No Drives Can Be Found During Windows 10 Installation (Intel 11th Generation processors) | ...

I have zipped up and attached the F6 driver folder HP tells you to browse to the driver for, so there is no need to find the storage driver you need from the support site.

Chapter 1, page 2 of the service manual linked to your PC's support page indicates the M.2 slot supports both SATA and NVMe SSD's, so I don't believe that it is a hardware compatibility issue.

HP 15s-dy2000 Laptop PC series Manuals | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Excellent thank you! 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

I am actually receiving a message that displays that the driver could not be installed and asks to contact the driver vendor? 

HP Recommended

Hmmm....

I guess you can try the Intel rapid storage controller driver on your notebook's support page.

it seems to be an older version of the one I gave you.  sp108979 under the storage controller drivers section.

HP Laptop PC 15-dy2000 Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Follow the instructions in their entirety to get to the F6 folder contained within the exe file.

You may have to use the free 7-zip file utility to extract the folder out of the exe file because I can't figure out where HP is coming from when they tell you to just right click on the file and select Extract.

I don't see any Extract option when I right click on it.

7-Zip

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I found the proper controller driver here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-f2000-laptop-pc-series/35900344/model/2100381... and extracted it! It worked with my new NVME thank you very much for the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.