Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! 

I just put in a new harddrive in my laptop after my old hhd Was all done. 

Now i tried to install windows 10 from a usb stick. But in The installation program it said that the hhd wasnt compatible and I could only shoose to install it on The main drive (normal?).

It said that my hhd has MBR. In EFT based systems windows can only be installed on GPT discs. Translation please ^^😅

Help me! 😊🙏

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK...

So, let me get this right...

Even with what you did, you still get the error..."Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only installed on GPT disks".

Yes?

OK, if yes, go to plan B...

We need to convert to GPT

Go to the Install Now screen and press the Shift + f10 keys.
type: Diskpart
type: List Disk
type: Select Disk (and whatever number disk you want to change)
type: Clean
type: Convert GPT

Then restart the installation, and you should be good to go.

Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb6tECZP6WE

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

The easiest thing to do would be to go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot.

See this link for the settings to change.

https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03736054/

Then boot from the legacy USB diskette on key/USB hard drive, and that should work.

HP Recommended

Ok so in The startup menu i go into Bios setup? 

In The guid it says (step 1:3), to use the arrows to shoose in to system configuration meny. But didnt work The way i did it. Missed something?? 🤔

HP Recommended

Ok i think i got it. But it didnt work.. 

Booting - means to i stall windows in this case? 

HP Recommended

Ok, now that you changed the settings in the BIOS, have the W10 installer in the USB port.

Restart the PC, tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that, select the Legacy USB diskette on key/USB hard drive and press the Enter key.

The PC should then boot from the W10 installer and this time it should install and not give the GPT error notification.

HP Recommended

No doesnt work... 

HP Recommended

Exactly what isn't working?

What is the error?

HP Recommended

Well when i go into The installation programme and in The step to shoose where to install windows - The only option is the new hhd - and when i try to select The hhd it says The same as I told you before. 

HP Recommended

Should i shange the uefi? 

HP Recommended

OK...

So, let me get this right...

Even with what you did, you still get the error..."Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only installed on GPT disks".

Yes?

OK, if yes, go to plan B...

We need to convert to GPT

Go to the Install Now screen and press the Shift + f10 keys.
type: Diskpart
type: List Disk
type: Select Disk (and whatever number disk you want to change)
type: Clean
type: Convert GPT

Then restart the installation, and you should be good to go.

Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb6tECZP6WE

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks MBR can't support partitions which are larger than 2 TB. So we need to convert to GPT Shift + f10 type: Diskpart type: List Disk type: Select Disk (and
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.