Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq nw8240
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.1029

Intel Pentium M Processor 2.13GHz

2.0Gb RAM

I've been getting Win10 Update failures for over a year (all other updates install fine) so decided to do a manual update using the Microsoft "Create Windows 10 installation media" tool. All seems to go fine until the very end during the re-boots stage where it comes up with the following error code "0xC1900101 - 0x20017" and reverts the laptop back to the way it was before attempting the update install. Reading Microsoft support forum indicates this is due to a driver causing an illegal operation. The suggested mitigation is to open Setuperr.log and Setupact.log files found in the %windir%\Panther folder and find out which driver is causing the problem.

Unfortunately those log files are not at all easy to decipher and there is no easy way to interpret the mass of information so I decided to check all the drivers installed on the laptop using Device Manager myself. I manually checked and updated every single driver entry and all are now apparently the most recent. Despite this the manual update still fails and reverts to the pre update system.

I'm clearly facing a clean Windows install but before I go down that route it would be great to get to the bottom of this issue and learn along the way. I've got the setuperr and setupact log files if anyone can help to decipher them for the driver(s) causing the update failures. The other fundamental problem is, how do I attach the log files to a post???

Thanks for reading so far.

George

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@George1157 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting an error message while installing the operating system.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

First, let's try to perform the hard drive test and check.

So, that it will confirm that the hard drive part is working correctly or not.

Please follow the below steps to perform the hard drive test.

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  

3) Press F2 once.  

4) Go to the Component test.  

5) From the list, run the Hard Drive (extensive) test. 

If the hard drive test is passed. Then you can try performing the HP Cloud recovery.

Please make sure that that you have taken the backup of your personal data.

Please refer to the following link for using the HP Cloud Recovery Download Tool.

let me know how that pans out,

And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!

Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 

Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for your reply and detailed instructions. I completed the hard drive tests and both the quick one and the comprehensive one passed with flying colours. I also completed the memory test which also passed faultlessly.

For the next instruction I followed the link you provided but haven't yet downloaded the HP Cloud Recovery Download Tool because the description states it is for a Win10 64-bit OS whereas mine is a 32-bit OS so looking for a little more guidance from you.

Have a great afternoon.

George

HP Recommended

@George1157

Thank you for the update.

After installing the HP cloud recovery software there will be an option to select the operating system and you have the option to choose the 64 bit or 32 bit.

You have to select the 32-bit operating system and create a recovery media.

Or you can download the ISO from the Microsft website.

Note: The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond my support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi Praveen,

I've had a lot of fun installing the OS from the downloads (from your link and from Microsoft) and continue to be unsuccessful. I've now got a virgin installation of Win10 Pro v1709 which works but attempting to install v1803 or higher keeps failing with the same error message related to the drivers (see first message in this post). So, I'm back to trying to decipher the Setuperr.log and Setupact.log files found in the %windir%\Panther folder and find out which driver is causing the problem.

Are you able to decipher the Setuperr.log and Setupact.log files or can you point me to someone in the HP support community who would be able to please? Or do you perhaps have any other ideas for troubleshooting this issue further?

Thanks for your patience.

George

HP Recommended

@George1157

I understand your concerns. 

Unfortunately, We do not have an option for Interpreting setup and setup log files.

I would suggest you contact phone support. They may help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.