07-11-2019 07:43 AM
I was just wondering if updating the bios is always a good idea? The reason why I am asking is that a few weeks ago my laptop wanted to update the BIOS. For whatever reason, it failed causing my laptop not to work. I had to send it to get repaired and it is working perfectly fine now. I have updated the BIOS before a couple times earlier this year without any problems.
After this experience, would it be best to bypass the BIOS update if it wants to be updated? I don't want to have to go through it failing again. On a side not, I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to the BIOS.
Has anyone else experience this?
Thanks in advance,
07-11-2019 09:12 AM
If the PC is running fine as it is, I would not update the BIOS.
Sometimes the update doesn't work as expected (as you discovered), rendering the PC unusable.
Only update the BIOS if the notebook has an issue that the release notes in the BIOS update state the update fixes.
I would never let the HP support assistant update the BIOS.
Download it from your notebook's support page and run the update file yourself and make sure that no programs are open, etc., during the update process.
Always update the BIOS with a fully charged battery and with the A/C power connected.
Do not have anything attached to the PC during the BIOS update such as USB devices, and whatnot.
07-13-2019 08:38 AM
Thank you! I also was wondering what should I do in the situation where the computer updates the BIOS on its own? The reason why my laptop updated the BIOS is because I checked the windows update to see if my laptop needs updated and from there that was when my computer updated the BIOS.
07-13-2019 08:52 AM - edited 07-13-2019 08:52 AM
You're very welcome.
You can prevent driver and BIOS update files from automatically installing by:
1. Open the HP support assistant software.
2. On the top upper right side of the program, find the settings icon (shaped like a gear).
3. Click on the settings icon and you will be presented with a settings page.
4. Under the 'Choose how you would like to receive software updates from HP' section, select the 'Check for updates, but let me choose which updates to download and install' button.
5. Save the settings and exit the HP support assistant program.