Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 17 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get severe lagging occasionally when playing games. The game freezes almost entirely and the sound plays extremely slow. It gets back to normal after 30 sec to 1 minute.

It never happens under normal use.

I have another "weaker" HP laptop and that PC have no problem running the games.

I have a SSD disk and a i7 processor with 16GB memory.

I think it is something wrong with the GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M), but I'm not sure.

I have updated all the drivers and even the BIOS, but no difference.

I cannot find anything obvious in the Event Viewer. Some critical errors but that seems to have something to do with the USB (DriverFrameworks-UserMod, usbperf. The USB mouse disconnects and reconnects sometimes).

I have Googled a lot and tried different things I've found but now I'm out of ideas.

Hope someone can help me pinpoint the issue.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@FlorinIT Welcome to HP Community! you are facing issues with 

I understand that E HP ENVY 17 Notebook. Extreme lagging occasionally when GPU usage is high.

I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution; 

When was the last time it worked without these issues (date)? 

Which games are causing these issues and are they online games or installed on your PC? 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on HP Forums? 

What is the product number of your computer? (Ensure you don't share any personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc..). 

  

In the meantime, you may try the below steps, as even if the game is compatible with your system hardware it may have a slow performance because you are using the windows 8, 8.1 or 10 as the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly. 

  

Here's how you do it: 

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings. 

• Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.  

• In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance. 

• click Apply and ok...this should do the trick. 

If the issue persists, The best way to resolve the issue is to follow the suggestions of the HP Guided Troubleshooter:  

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern). 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS. 
(by the end of this document, all the issues should be resolved) 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi,

The first time I noticed it was the first time I played a game that was using the GPU.

I'm using Windows 10 Home v.1909 by the way.

It's my work PC so I haven't played games until my son started nagging me to play with him...

Probably when I first installed and run my first game. 2019-10-03.

All my games (Scrap Mechanic, Raft, Empyrion, Green Hell, Stick fight, Minecraft). They are installed on my PC.

The games usually starts to lag when I've played a while (15-30 mins) and take a short break. Almost immediately I let go of the PC (game still running) It freezes/start lagging badly. It usually go back to normal within a minute or so.

What I've done before posting:

I have updated every driver I could find, especially the NVIDIA drivers. Even BIOS.

I've reinstalled some of the apps.

I have reduced the visual effects

All the tools in HP Support Assistant (troubleshooter, performance, network, os, sound etc.)

Checked corrupted files (scf /scannow)

I have tried to interpret the system logs. Couldn't figure anything out of it other than the USB (my mouse disconnects/reconnects occasionally. Tried 2 mice). Haven't notice any other USB peripherals malfunctioning.

Product no:F1E24EA#UUW

Your first link doesn't work.

Going through the steps of the instructions on the second link...

HP Recommended

@FlorinIT

I understand your concerns. 

In that case, I would suggets you perform the system reset.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.