Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Okay, board test passed, 

Keyboard test failed

Now here is an interesting part, the keyboard and mouse don't work, but when I did the Mouse test, I got the pointer on screen and was able to perform the test of it.  And use the mouse the whole time in the test screens

When reboot no mouse.

Here is another thing, when it restarts, I have to drag up the screen to get the login option.  When I get there, the on screen keyboard automatically pops up.  So, even though when I log in it's not in tablet moode, it's acting like you have turned the screen around on this option and the keyboard and mouse are turned off

isn't this how it works when you flip the screen all the way over?  How does the laptop know the screen is turned around, is there a switch on the board?  Could that be an issue if it ?  Shouldn't have that have popped up in system board test?

HP Recommended

I BOUGHT A SIMILAR LAPTOP FOR MY DAUGHTER JUST BEFORE XMAS 2016 IT HAS EXAXTLY THE SAME PROBLEM.

UPDATES ALL DONE, PRESS ESC KEY DURING BOOT AND KEYBOARD AND TOUCHPAD WORKS AND ALL TESTS PASS.  KEYBOARD AND TOUCHPAD DON,T WORK IN WINDOWS 10.  DONE THE UNINSTALL DRIVER THING, NO JOY.  CHECKED THINGS LIKE TABLET MODE, USERS ETC NO PROGRESS....NOT WORKING

HP Recommended

Hi @MINETYMENACE,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are having issues with the keyboard and touchpad not working in Windows. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details.

What is the product number of this computer? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you made any software or hardware changes on the PC?

Was there any update/reset interrupted, recently?

When was the last time it worked (date)?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

How to Turn on and Turn off Filter Keys in Windows 8

"The keyboard driver works normally, but it takes a few seconds for the keys I typed to show up on the computer. What's the problem? Can anybody tell me the exact reason?"

In this case, the reason is probably related to the setting of Filter Keys. That is, the Filter Keys may be turned on by chance, which slows down brief or repeated keystrokes. Correspondingly, to solve the problem, the Filter Keys should be turned off. And this article will illustrate how to turn it on and off in Windows 8 computer.

Part 1: Two ways to turn on Filter keys in Windows 8

Way 1: Use the right Shift key on keyboard

Press the right Shift key for 8 seconds (or more than 8 seconds) to open the Filter Keys dialog box, and select Yes to turn it on.

Way 2: Through Ease of Access Center

Step 1: Hold down Windows Logo Key and U key at the same time to access Ease of Access Center, and choose Make the keyboard easier to use in it.

Step 2: In the next window, check the box before Turn on Filter Keys and click OK.

Tips: If you want to customize the settings of Filter Keys after turning it on, you can refer to Set up Filter Keys in Windows 8/8.1.

I hope this answers, let me know how it goes for further assistance,

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I hope my thread is not hijacked and forgotton with the new persons post.  ANy thoughts based on my last reply?

HP Recommended

Are they any other ideas based on the post of what works when?

Thanks,

Don

HP Recommended

Hi @dmaclaren2,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. Don't worry, though, I'll try my best to help you with this,

I did go through the previous post and considering the troubleshooting steps performed and mouse pad works in the diagnostic mode, which clearly states that hardware part is fine, most likely it's a software issue, I would suggest you perform a system recovery using the partition available on your PC. Doing this will wipe off everything and set the computer back to the original factory conditions. So, if you have any important data please go ahead and back it up.

If for some reason the partition fails, which means either the partition is corrupted or system file is missing. 

Link to perform System recovery - Click here

The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Otherwise, you could also reach HP phone support to order the recovery media. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi dmaclaren2, didn't mean to hijack you post only to say that I have a similar problem (which seems a comon one).  The advice you have been given is :"which clearly states that hardware part is fine, most likely it's a software issue", well I wonder what else it could be?  Some sort of diet problem perhaps!!!  Again the same as mine.

It seems a bit brutal to restore the system to a factory default if it is just an issue with the keyboard and mouse pad, that is like saying we are going to have to rebuild your car if the interior light fails.  Will a restore wipe other software loaded onto the computer? (eg Office 2013 which I bought as a download?)

How about a list of keyboard/mousepad files and a checksum or file size for each....an eronious file would be highlighted by a differing checksum/size etc

A tecnician changes parts until the system works, an Engineer identifies the problem and fixes it first time.  OK this sounds flippent, especialy as I haven't given precise details, but my daughter has returned to Uni with her lap top, but I will post the name rank and number as soon as I have it.

HP Recommended

@Jeet_singh

A PC hardware diagnostic test reporting a hardware device failure is indeed a hardware device failure, not a software issue.  

Please do not cloud the issue with statements like that. The Diagnostics were created for a good reason.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

So I pass the tests and things are working in the test mode but they don't work until I go into that specific test.  So no keyboard until O go into the keyboard test and no mouse, or even pointer until I go intot hetest.  Once in the test I can use both until I reboot to start normally.

So this is very odd, they just won't work in windows

HP Recommended
I did this same thing but my components results were fine. And my mouse and keyboard work after entering different mode when I press escape on start up. Any help?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.