Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 15 Convertible PC 15-eu1000 (4V9Q2AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, I have an issue with my Backspace, Enter, and Space buttons not working from time to time. I've attempted many different ways of fixing the issue but they wont be long lasting. Eventually the problem will reacquire and persist. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Peter_Anore,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Keyboard issues, especially with critical keys like Backspace, Enter, and Space, can be frustrating. Here are some potential solutions you can try to address the problem:

1. Check for Physical Issues

• Clean the Keyboard: Dust and debris can cause keys to malfunction. Turn off your device and use compressed air to clean the keyboard. Gently shake the laptop or keyboard to dislodge any particles.
  • Inspect for Damage: Look for any visible damage or wear on the keys. If the keys appear physically damaged, they might need to be replaced.

2. Software Solutions

• Update Drivers:
    • Windows: Go to Device Manager -> Keyboards -> Right-click your keyboard -> Update driver.
    • Mac: Ensure your macOS is up-to-date by going to System Preferences -> Software Update.
  • Keyboard Settings:
    • Windows: Go to Settings -> Ease of Access -> Keyboard. Ensure 'Filter Keys' is off, as it can cause keys to be unresponsive.
    • Mac: Go to System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Keyboard and ensure settings are correct.
  • Test in Safe Mode:
    • Windows: Restart your computer in Safe Mode and test the keys. If they work, a third-party software might be causing the issue.
    • Mac: Restart in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key during startup. Test the keys in Safe Mode.

3. Check for Software Conflicts

• Uninstall Recently Installed Software: If the problem started after installing new software, try uninstalling it to see if the issue resolves.
  • Run Antivirus Scan: Malware can cause unpredictable behavior in hardware. Run a full system scan to ensure your system is clean.

4. Hardware Check

• External Keyboard: Connect an external keyboard to your computer. If the external keyboard works fine, it indicates an issue with the built-in keyboard.
  • Reseat Keyboard Ribbon (Laptops): If you're comfortable, you can open your laptop and ensure the keyboard ribbon cable is securely connected to the motherboard.

5. Resetting the Keyboard Settings

• Windows:
    • Go to Device Manager -> Keyboards -> Right-click your keyboard -> Uninstall device. Restart your computer, and Windows should reinstall the driver automatically.
  • Mac:
    • Reset the PRAM/NVRAM: Shut down your Mac, turn it on, and immediately press and hold Option + Command + P + R for about 20 seconds.

6. Advanced Solutions

• Reinstall the Operating System: As a last resort, consider reinstalling your operating system to rule out any software issues causing the problem.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.