Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillon 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently bought a new HP Pavilion 15-bc035nd (Windows 10) but I am running into a few issues with it. When I go into sleep mode and then wake up the laptop, using the power button, the keyboard and touchpad stops working. I am not able to enter my password. Via an external mouse and keyboard I am able to enter my password succesfully. Even after entering my password I am still not able to use my touchpad/keyboard of my laptop. Only a hard reset enables me to use the keyboard/touchpad again. I have tried various settings regarding power management but nothing seems to resolve my issue... Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@KevinDC

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service!

As I understand your keyboard and the touchpad stops responding after waking up from sleep mode, here what you need to do:

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. In Device Manager, locate the keyboard, and then double-click the device name.
3. Click the Power Management tab, and then Select the option "Allow this device to wake the computer" checkbox.
4. Click Ok.
5. Locate the touchpad and Repeat step 2 and 3.

Also, update the drivers of both Keyboard and the touchpad using this link.

Keep me posted!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@

Thanks for the reply, but prior to creating this thread I already came across that advice and already tried it. It does not solve my issue. I am able to press a key to exit sleep mode but after waking up the laptop, both my keyboard and touchpad of the laptop no longer work (no keyboard input and cursor does not move).

Oh and I also tried updating keyboard + mousepad drivers and BIOS.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

HP Recommended

@KevinDC,

Thank you for the details and the clarification!

Since this is a windows issue, you may also try the Microsoft Forum as they have a solution for the same issue.

Please try the below steps as well:

Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

After the SFC scan, open the windows search field, type Power Options and press Enter.

Step 1 - From the right pane of the Power Options window, click the Change plan settings link representing the currently active power plan (the one with the radio button selected).

Step 2 - From the next window, click Change advanced power settings.

Step 3 - From the Power Options box, expand PCI Express > Link State Power Management.

Step 4 - From the displayed option(s), click each one of them individually, i.e. On battery and Plugged in and select Off, from the available list.

Step 5 - Save all the changes and then try putting the system to sleep and waking it back on.

The issue should be resolved by now.

Keep me posted, though!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Performed below 2 steps still same issue please suggest

HP Recommended

Greetings @Arjun1988

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue with your computer where the keyboard and touchpad are not working after the computer wakes from sleep, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

May I know the exact product number of your computer? Click here. Please do not share the serial number of your computer.

Have you tried to update all the drivers using HP Support Assistant?

Have you run a diagnostics on your computer?

Please try all the steps suggested in this HP Article and let me know how it goes. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.