Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 X9K20PA#AB4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook get slow and hang after every usage of about 30 mintues, sometimes even shorter time. Need to totally switch off and on again. Even switch it on without doing anything, it still hang after sometime. Why? and how to solve? Had perform reformat once, doesn't helped. 

It was newly bought in Feb 2017, only lasted as normal for 2 months, already giving me headache.  My previous HP Pavilion dv5 has never encounter this sort of problem. Have I bought the wrong one frankly? They told me only different between Pavilion 15 and HP 15 is the notebook cover, then I found out the audio is mcuh worse than Paviion, what else?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MsChangey wrote:

Ok I figure out how to install Evernote Clipper already. I know how to import bookmarks, but can I actually save the bookmarks into a files in my pc, so that I can easily use it later in other search engine like Opera or Firefox? Hoe to do it?

Thanks!

Opera, Firefox, Chrome, EDGE, Internet Explorer are all browsers.

Google, Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo are search engines.

Yes, you can regularly save the boormarks into HTML files and these can be used with any browser. Some browsers also have their own formats (like json in Firefox)

You are welcome!

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello @MsChangey

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

When did the problem start ?  Can you click on Start , type   winver

Start the utility and post your full version of Windows - version, edition, build - nothing else.

After you start your computer, please run Task Manager. More information > https://www.howtogeek.com/108742/how-to-use-the-new-task-manager-in-windows-8/

Keep Task Manager open perpetually until you reproduce the issue.

About the time you notice your issue starting, take a look at Task Manager and see what is "eating resources" - CPU / Memory / Disk

What is the process/service that uses most of your resources and leads to hung/crash ?

Can you provide details of this or take pictures and post them back here ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Everytime when it hung, I go to end task or switching on again, it will be normal again.  Sometimes I just switch it on, open Google Chrome doing nothing, just leave it there, it will still hang later.

HP Recommended

OK, but what is this thing that causes it to hung before it hungs - have you noticed something in Task Manager.

When you open Google Chrome and even if it appears you are not doing anything with it - it still communicates with Google for updates and other things, so this is not the case.

Have you performed hardware diagnostics so far ? Please, try these ones - perform Component tests of all major components - here is how > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JXUp43ahHA

HP Recommended

Based on your description of the problem - I can see it acted normal the first 2 months and the issue started to happen in April (recently) .

Can you click on Start ->  type    winver

and post the Windows version/build information of your Windows

Thanks

HP Recommended

OK, I now what you mean now. Yes, I have observed just now, at the task manager I can see it is Google Chrome taking up most of the space, second is the Mcafee.

HP Recommended

Version 1703, OS Build 15063.138 

HP Recommended

Is it the Google Chrome version not compatible with my HP15 or vise versa? Why it works normal before this and not now?

HP Recommended

@MsChangey wrote:

Is it the Google Chrome version not compatible with my HP15 or vise versa? Why it works normal before this and not now?

Not sure. And "not compatible" is not the most accurate word. Anyway.

Now things are more clear.

Answering "why now":

Because initially your PC came with Windows 10 Anniversary build 1607 and it worked fine then.

Recently, Microsoft release a new build known as Creators update 1703. I suspect your PC release got upgraded to this build 1703 and this might be ca.... As you probably know Windows 10 is a lot different than previous Windows versions and it updates very often, like a rolling release and does this automatically, almost uncontrollably.

I recommend you this workaround (you may try it as a last resort).

You have an easy option to restore back to previous Windows build - probably Anniversary Update build 1607. You can go to Settings > Update and Recovery and follow the steps to revert back to the build that worked fine for your PC. Here is how to do it >> https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

This option will work in case the update was installed recently and if the recovery partition/files created by Win 10 itself are working.

If it worked fine with AU, keep this build for a while.

Here is how to temporary block the Creator's update 1703 > http://www.windowscentral.com/how-delay-windows-10-creators-update-your-pc-and-why

Different things to try now:

McAfee - you can uninstall it from Control Panel > Programs and features

and then you have to run this tool >> http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

This is 3rd party program that interferes a lot, you can uninstall it at least temporary.

Generally speaking I strongly recommend you uninstall any 3rd party security product (AV, firewall, etc...) and leave only the built-in Windows Defender/Windows Firewall running (do this at least temporary as a part of the troubleshooting process).

Google Chrome - uninstall it from Control Panel > Programs and features

Try a different browser - Opera (based on Chrome/Chromium but slightly different, may be better), try Firefox, try with the built-in Internet Explorer

Update all of your drivers following the Device Manager method - update the drivers for all components and for all network adapters. Here is how > http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03330139

If these 3 do not work, try to revert back to Anniversary update

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

HP Recommended

OK thanks for answering. Since 1703 is the latest version, isn't it one day I still need to have this version as well? Do you mean if I were to use different explorer, it will most likely be fine? or wait untill one day either Google or HP do another upgrade again, will be fine? 

When I go to the Update history, I can't see any recent updates, the latest  was on the 14 Apr 2017. But it is true that during 11-14 Apr 2017, there lots of updates. 

Regarding Mcafee, I did not buy and pay for that. Why does it running anyway?

Can you teach me ways that I can simply copy or import my bookmarks from different search portal site? Thanks!

Looks like it works after I switch to Explorer search engine. Thanks!

One more thing, can you kindly teach me how to delete my important files and cookies and histories in my notebook, before I sent it out for repair in the future? Where can I check what and where are my various login passwords the system or explorer have saved? How can I change any setting of it?

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.