cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Laptop blue screened, crashed and froze half-way through BIOS Recovery

HP Recommended
Envy 13 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

Just around 30 minutes ago, I was doing my typical gaming, when all of a sudden, as I attempted to open Task Manager using Ctrl+Shift+Esc, I was then met with a blue screen error. I do not remember the error message but it was something saying “system exception” or something like that. It shutdown, then powered up to be doing a BIOS Recovery. As of now, it says, “Writing new BIOS Image” “Block 1089/2048” “Progress 53%. It has then frozen on that screen, it has sat there for more than 30 minutes. I had decided that I didn’t want to wait for it, so I pressed down on the power button for 30 seconds to 1 minute and received no response. Even if I closed the laptop for extended periods of time, it would continue to be on the same screen when opened.

I have no clue what to do with it.

If you have any further answers or questions, please notify me.

Thanks,

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
30,098 30,048 2,493 3,753
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@nlebe0 Click here to perform a hard reset on your device

If the issue persists, after the above steps, try the below:

1. Turn off the notebook.

2. Plug the notebook into a power source using the power adapter.

3. With the notebook off, press and hold the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time.

NOTE:

On some notebook models, it might be necessary to press and hold the Windows logo key  and the V key.

4. While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key  and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

The HP BIOS Update screen displays, and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps. If the issue persists after repeating the steps, skip to the next step to Download a replacement BIOS file.

• If the Power light turns off, the notebook has turned off because the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds only.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation