Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream - 14-ax030wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laptop locked up when a normal Windows update was updating, had to reboot and came up with blank screen. After lot of tries purchased the16G USB - Windows 10 64-bit Recovery Kit  Recovery Media from HP, followed instructions, as it started working an error message came up stating the "This computer is not supported by the System Recovery Media. You will not be able to continue to recover this system with these Media. Error 0100-82BD-8423 0122-0-1.  Note that the Recovery media was ordered from the HP website using the correct laptop info as follows:

HP Stream - 14-ax030wm

SN [edit]

ID X7S51UA#ABA

Instructions that came with the media said I could "Contact HP SUPPORT at www.hp.com/support and provide the error message so our representative can assist you with.

Could not find anywhere/way to provide that info.  What do I do next - spent $69.95 for the recovery media and certainly don't want to waste it and still have a totally dead laptop.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the HP supplied recovery media didn't work, you should be able to clean install W10 by making a bootable USB installation flash drive using the Media creation tool at the link below. Select the 64 bit media creation option.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the part of the installation process that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the had drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space.  Click Next, and W10 should install.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-stream-14-ax000-laptop-pc/12499221/model/1690207...

If that works, I suggest you call HP customer service and request a refund for the non-working recovery media.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions, I have done all that and in fact that is when nothing would come up so then I purchased the recovery media directly from HP...……..any other ideas/help would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Did you run the hardware diagnostics tests?  Turn on the PC, immediately tap the ESC key and select the F2 hardware diagnostics option and test the hard drive.

The problem is if the drive is bad, the entire motherboard needs to be replaced, not just the drive itself.

Creating the W10 installer should work 100% of the time if the drive is good and the media creation tool indicated the USB flash drive installer was created successfully.

When you created the media did you tap the ESC key and select the F9 boot options menu?

The USB flash drive should appear in the list of bootable devices if it is working the way it is supposed to.

Then you select that drive and press the enter key.

HP Recommended

Yes, I THINK I have done all those things but I am going to go back and try it all again.  If I have to replace the mother board are these easily obtained and are they difficult to remove/replace.  If I am able to replace it, probably some videos to show how somewhere, would the recovery data I purchased from HP work then do you think?  If I have to spend anymore that another $50 or so, might as well purchase another one on sale somewhere...………….look forward to your helpful guidance, support, advice.  Thanks again, really appreciate your time and assistance.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If the hard drive is bad, it will usually report a 24 character failure code.

If it passes, the motherboard replacement would not be applicable.

If the motherboard is bad, then it would not be an easy job to replace it,  but here is the link to the service manual where you can find the motherboard removal and replacement procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05227771

Chapter 3 has the list of motherboards with part numbers.

Looks like you would need:

Intel Celeron N3060 processor, 32 GB eMMC hard drive, and the Windows 10 operating system  HP part # 905305-601

Then you would have to install the memory and wifi card from the old motherboard onto the new one.

The part is not orderable from HP, so you would have to find one on the secondary market...perhaps on eBay.

IMHO, if you can't get yours to reinstall W10 the way it is now, I would just buy a new or refurbished notebook.

I would still suggest you call HP and see if you can get a refund for the recovery media you bought.

No sense in throwing good money after bad.

HP Recommended

I could not find a number to actually call HP, I was going to give them a call for some advice but could not locate any numbers, if you have one to call the right place to ask for a refund I would appreciate having it.  Thanks again for your help, could not ask for more than you have done and much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Anytime.  Glad to have been of assistance.

The forum administrators don't want us posting any phone numbers for HP customer support because of spammers posting phone numbers to scam sites.

So, what I can do is give you this link.  You want the HP toll free number in large numbers right at the top of the page.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=hp+toll+free+number&form=PRUSEN&pc=EUPP_&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1...

HP Recommended

If there is anyway to put in a good word or an excellent rating for you let me know, I have been able to see any link or anything to acknowledge your excellent and very courteous support responses.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the kind words.

I don't work for or represent HP.

I just like to help others where I can.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.