Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Model 15t-j100
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am using Windows 7 x64, 500Gb SSD, 16Gb RAM, 4Gb VRAM; software and drivers all updated. From time to time the display switches off, black screen, without any warning. This can happen after 10 hours, or 10 minutes. The machine is still running, the power light is on, Bluetooth light on, fan running. The only way recover is to hold the power switch down until the lights go out (about 15 seconds). After that the boot up is normal.

I took it to the Geek Squad, they had no suggestions. My son asked if there were 2 video display adapters, there are:

Nvidia GeForce GT 750M,

Intel HD Graphics 4600.

He told me to disable the Nvidia. That seemed to work, yesterday it ran for 12 hours or more without a problem. Today the display switched off after about 1 hour.

I have used Even Viewer to look at the log file. I do not see any way to attach a file, but this is a small section from before the shutdown until after re-booting:

Error    07-Dec-19 10:39:25         Service Control Manager  7000      None      "The WC Assistant service failed to start due to the following error:

The system cannot find the file specified."

Critical               07-Dec-19 10:39:15         Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power              41           (63)        The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Error    07-Dec-19 10:39:21         EventLog              6008      None      The previous system shutdown at 10:38:22 AM on ‎12/‎7/‎2019 was unexpected.

This has been repeated many times over the past week or two. Any suggestions much appreciated.

David

there are many "Critical" entries

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I posted the above question myself, someone answered with very helpful suggestions about updating drivers. However, I can only find my own post, no way can I get to his reply. What can I say? His answer seems to have worked, I would have liked to have thanked him, but really these HP Forums are the weirdest I've ever encountered, and I've been at this since 1980.

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.