Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, 

Recently my laptop, (HP Envy 17 Notebook - 17-j108TX) has been consistently restarting, and I can’t seem to solve the error. I did a component diagnostic to test, and it told me that the SSD (Crucial BX500) which I had replaced for windows was 96% worn, and that the battery was critical. So I ripped up the laptop and installed a new SSD, and was in the process of reinstalling Windows when it kept on happening. So I troubleshooted the battery by pulling it out, and running it off the charging port, and it seemed to work fine. I managed to get an install of Windows complete, and it did it again, but more frequently. It tells me,

“the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click “OK” to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

Whenever I press ok, it will turn off and restart, but display the same error message once it boots back up. Note: the windows install drive is still connected during this. 

Also, I had been running off the BX500 for a few months before this error occurred, and it was installed the same time that a new cooler was installed. There are no heating issues present.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Because of my impatience, I booted to laptop off of the installation media to see if the download would work, so I deleted all the partitions with Windows, and attempted a clean installation. The main issue right now, is that the laptop will consistently turn off, then back on, then off quite more often. But it is most likely not a storage issue because I troubleshooted with or without the internal HDD or with both of the SSDs and the issue would still prevail. 

If it helps, on the previous and the new SSD, when I attempted to do a system recovery, it would tell me that the repair could not be done. This same issue goes for most of the recovery options.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.