Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay114nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey,

Issue thats happening is the laptop will suddenly rev up the fan for maybe 2 seconds, screen goes black and the laptop clicks off. Once that's happened it wont charge, even the charging light next to the port wont illuminate. Only way to fix it is to remove battery, hold down power for 15 seconds, reinsert battery and restart. 

Every few times it gets in to a cycle of starting up to the home screen and doing it again until i reinstall windows, then it wont happen for another few months. 

A month or two ago when this happened i replaced battery, all tests when I press F2 at startup have come back as successful and otherwise the laptop works fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BS191 Is the device overheating when this happens? If yes, here's what you need to do:

Click here to see this video in full screen on YouTube to reduce Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating, alternatively, you can Click here for step by step instructions.

Also, to resolve issues such as Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly:

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS
  • Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean
  • Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat
  • Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes
  • Selecting power save settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey Riddle,

Thanks for your reply! 

It doesn't seem to be, it can happen at any time and seems to occur when the laptop is undertaking a strenuous task. I use a laptop table with a fan so overheating is an unlikely issue. Having said that, is there any way to check if its overheating? Perhaps a log or anything?

Cheers

HP Recommended

@BS191 I suggest you follow the other steps such as updating BIOS, if not done, as it should resolve such issues, and I'm afraid there are no HP applications available to test the heat as such, you could use 3rd party apps such as CPU-Z, however, that's not recommended or supported by HP.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.