Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bw063au
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my laptop shuts down after five or 10 minutes but the battery looks like it’s charged – it’s been doing it for about a week – I therefore started to just use it with the power cord plugged in instead and that seem to work fine until yesterday when each time it was plugged in it would trip with the power in the whole house we would lose power in the house and I would have to flip the switch with the circuit breaker. This morning I’ve had it plugged in with the power cord and it hasn’t tripped the power yet. I have tried doing one of those hard resets where you take out the battery and press the power button that didn’t seem to fix anything – I’m out of warranty. Any ideas what I can try next.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@DeeWin 

From your description, you have an electrical short in the laptop charger -- one that is tripping the circuit breaker.

This is dangerous because it could potentially lead to serious overheating of the charger which, if it gets bad enough, could lead to fire. The circuit breaker is preventing that -- for now.

You would need to replace the charger and not use it anymore.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

thank you for your help – I did also called HP support day before yesterday and they seem to think it’s a problem with my laptops internal battery – they run a few tests and it did improve in that my battery went from lasting 5 minutes to an hour but that was about as good as it got therefore I have ordered a new battery. I haven’t had any more issues with the power supply shorting the circuit breaker – we were having a lot of rain that night So it might of been related to that as well as the power supply maybe working extra hard to try and charge the battery maybe. I will keep an ion it once I get my new battery

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.