Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Do I have a setting wrong?  When I leave my laptop running on Power and return later and power up it after it has timed out, nothing I had running is still running.  I have the Power options set to power off the screen after 10 minutes and to sleep the computer after 30 minutes.  Instead of sleeping the computer it is as if a Shutdown was done.  On some occasions when you restart Chrome it asks if you wish to restore pages since the computer did not shutdown in an orderly fashion.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @SEM17 

Welcome !

What you describe sounds like Sleep issues - looks like the PC crashesh when it attempts t Sleep.

It may happen due to many reasons  - misconfiguration, BIOS issues, 3rd party drivers, etc......

Try these - my proposal

Please, perform the necessary updates and software tweaks.

• Here are a couple of additional things you may also try :

Check Device Manager

1. Click on the Windows Start button, type and then open Device Manager
2. Locate System devices and expand the trail

Screenshot_2019-01-17_23-40-32.png

3. Locate and right click on "Intel (R) Management Engine Interface" then select Properties
4. Select Power management tap
5. And uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
6. Save it and close it.

Turn off Fast Startup

• Click on Start button
  • Type control.exe and Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power button does
  • Click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable" and Uncheck "Turn on Fast Startup"
  • Make sure you press "Save changes" button

b805e667-b664-448f-afa2-ccf7d0282e9d.png

Try updating the BIOS

Uninstall 3rd party security producyts

Uninstall any 3rd party security apps (firewalls, antivirus, encryption programs) which you may have. If they are not developed correctly, they (their drivers) might prevent Windows from going into Sleep mode properly

Scan your computer for viruses/malware/unwanted apps

.... Run the free ESET Online Scanner >> http://download.eset.com/special/eos/esetonlinescanner_enu.exe

Scan your PC for viruses, threats and unwanted/unsafe applications - remove if anything found.

.... Run AdwCleaner >>https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

If nothing helped

Avoid using Sleep mode, use Hibernation instead.

Configure your PC to hibernate, not to Sleep

hibernate-option.png

Let me know how it goes - your update or news is appreciated

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.