Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hey gang,

This is a problem that I know there's been multiple posts about already, however I have tried everything in all of those posts and my issue still has not been fixed.

My laptop randomly shuts down when running on battery. The battery can be anywhere between 50% and 90% and my laptop will crash without any warning. the screen goes black and there is a weird noise when it happens.

I have already done multiple battery checks and my battery comes up as OK with 89% capacity.

I have changed my power settings.

I have done a factory reset of my laptop.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the battery drivers.

I have turned off auto-restart when an error occurs.

I have updated the BIOS 

I have done a static drain (remove battery and AC and hold power button for 30 seconds) 

re-calibrating the battery is impossible as the computer crashes before the battery even reaches 50%, let alone 15%

I have tried EVERYTHING suggested in posts about the same or similar problems to mine, however nothing has worked and the issue persists.

it is also clearly not a battery replacement situation as many people in other posts and forums with this issue have replaced the battery and still had the problem persist.

I honestly do not know what to do and am losing hope. My laptop is only 2.5 years old and I should not be having these issues considering how well I have looked after it. 

any help would be greatly appreciated. please do not suggest any of the things I have already listed because they DO NOT WORK. 

thanks! 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@toritoro 

The problem is perhaps located in the electrical supply arena, and yes this includes the battery, the charger, and of course, the connections between the battery and the board and those components that depend on power.

If you do not replace the battery, then you do not know for sure whether this is the solution for your situation.   Because the battery cannot be recalibrated, the suggestion that the battery is failing (or at least has issues) is not beyond the scope of what is possible. Still, I understand your point:  "It (the solution) does not work for other people, it will not work for me."

If you have not done so, consider:

Complete component testing of the battery and related parts - to be sure, you might test even "unrelated" components, too.  why?  If the issue is not the battery and / or the charging system, then the problem still has to be "something".  Testing might help uncover the culprit.

Contributed by  Wes_notebooks 

Testing for Hardware Failures

and / or

Run Component Tests

HP PCs and Tablets - About UEFI and the Startup Menu

If you do not get the answer you need here on the community

Beyond the testing, if the computer is in warranty, and even if it is not - you may contact HP Technical Support.  

Unlike "everyone else says, so it is true", only HP can speak for HP.  Our community is not HP Technical Support.

In other words, I encourage you to try, even though I have no control over the process or the outcome.

HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information

Reminders

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).

• Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.  In the event that Chat is not available in your region:  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• If the HP Contact (phone) number is not immediately provided:  Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.  

• HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option:  Contact HP Technical Support - Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.