Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP envy 15-j190nb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A year ago my battery broke, so i always used the ac adapter to power my laptop. The fact that there was no battery made sure that from time to time i accidently pulled the power cable out. I have never experienced any trouble because of this until two weeks ago when my laptop suddenly shut down after +/- 30 seconds after i pressed the power button. 

I have tried to update my bios but with or without usb stick, my laptop shut down just after the bios screen appeared. When pressing F11 for recovery: same problem. 

I hope someone knows how to fix this.
I bought this laptop three years ago and hp already had to replace my motherboard (during my warrenty period), due to overheating my laptop wouldn't start 7 months ago, half of my screen flashes and my battery broke.:smileysad:

Thanks in advance

HC98

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @HC98,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP ENVY 15-j190nb Notebook PC wherein it starts and then shuts down immediately.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here are a few steps in the links below:

1. Perform a hard reset

2. Attempt a BIOS recovery

Run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI): 

Use the following steps to open the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) to the main menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.
  3. The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.
  4. In the main menu, click component test.
  5. Then click on hard drive test.
  6. Select the Quick Test to perform a quick check of the hardware.
  7. Select the Extensive Test to perform a full check of the hardware. This test might take 2 or more hours to complete.
  8. While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for the component is shown on the screen.
  9. If component passed, exit from that screen.

If a component fails a test, please contact HP phone support from this link: www.hp.com/contacthp

You may select the country and type the product# of the unit and then follow the on-screen instructions to contact HP phone support.

For more steps, click here

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.